Peter Stokkebye Luxury Flake review

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Glenn, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Flake review

I bought a half pound each of the three Peter Stokkebye Luxury Flakes and have been putting them thru their paces for a couple of months. I really like these tobaccos and I think they are worth a try. They represent a very good value at $40-50 for 1.5 lb boxes.

The first, and my favorite of the three, is Twist Flake. It is described as "A pure Virginia blend from the best fields of Zimbabwe and Eastern United States. Rolled Twist Flake, then Cavendish pressed and cut."

This has to be one of the most attractive presentations I have seen. These little flakes are just cool to look at. Like a fingerprint no two are the same. They are just intersting little flakes-o-goodness.

Upon opening the bag the smell was just incredible. I swear I would have eaten it if I could have. It had a sorta sweet, rich, molassas cookie smell to me. It really smells yummy, probably the best tin note of any Virginia I have smelled.

I have smoked this in a couple of different pipes and it is another I really enjoy in a cob. I like to break up the flakes, pack it lightly and smoke it slowly. I don't really fully rub it out but rather just break it up into bits. I fill the pipe, tap to settle and repeat until full then top off with some finer rubbed out stuff. You can just wad up a flake and stuff it too, that works fine.

It is a nice, medium Virginia blend. There is some sweetness to it and the flavor is satisfying. Just don't smoke it too fast or it will get ashy and funky. Take your time and this is a very nice smoke. Another that could easily be an all the time, everyday smoke for me. I see a whole bunch of this in my cellar soon.

The second blend is Bullseye Flake. It is described as "A blend of ripe Virginia tobacco spiced with pure Louisiana Perique. The distinctive aroma of Perique combined with the natural sweetness of Virginia tobaccos provides a wonderful characteristic taste. The centre of mellow, fermented Black Cavendish serves to smoothen the general impression and rounding the taste. It is all a handcrafted process from selecting the best tobacco, blending, rolling, cutting, and packing. The result is an unparalleled smoking experience."

These flakes are another interesting presentation with the dark cavendish centers. I generally take these flakes, just sorta smash them and stuff them. I try to break up the center a little so it mixes thru the bowl. This is another tobacco you need to smoke slowly and be a little careful with. If you puff hard it'll get hot and funky. It is a little sweet, a little spicy, it is smooth and is really a nice VaPer overall. It is often brought up when Escudo is mentioned and while it is not the same as Escudo I enjoy it just as much.

This is another great value. A great tobacco at any price but especially nice when you figure it costs about $50 for 1.5 lbs. Very much worth a try and worth some space in the cellar.

Last is Luxury Navy Flake. This flake is described as "Very mature Old Belt flue-cured Virginia's spiced with Louisiana Perique." This is a standard flake, nothing out of the ordinary there. Mine tend to break up pretty easily even just int he bag/jar.

I have rubbed this one out and also folded and stuffed. It has worked fine both ways. This is not a real complex smoke but it is still very good. I tend to reach for this one quite often when I want to do some mindless puffing like when I am working on other stuff and can't give it my full attention. Again, this one will get hot and funky if you puff too hard and fast. For me it tends to be a little more harsh than Bullseye Flake. Take it slow and easy and it is good stuff.

This is another well worth a try. I have tried other VaPers that cost alot more and were not as good.

Overall I really like this series of bulk flakes a bunch. All three of these are strong contenders for all day smokes and at a reasonable price. Very well worth sampling them all, especially when you can buy 2 ozs of each for about the same price as alot of 100g tins sell for.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Glenn you're right - Luxury Twist has got to be just about the nicest presentation going... those funny little squares and they smell.... ghhaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh they smell so good. Best smelling tobacco ever. Impossible not to rip into it, jam a pipeful and light up.

3. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I fully believe they could have packed Twist Flake in a pretty tin with some gold foil or frilly paper and we'd pay $12 for 50g and would rave about it. Thank goodness that isn't the case.

4. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Those are some great reviews! One of these days my budget will get back on track and I'll have to try 'em! Thanks a million, Glenn!

Bri2k

5. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

I could not agree with you more Glenn....at least about the last two......I have a pound and a half of the Luxury Flake on the way so I can try it.....but if it is half as good as the bullseye and the navy I'll be in heaven.

6. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

You won't be dissapointed, just as long as you know it is a Virginia and not a VaPer. Twist is my favorite of the three, no doubt. I can't wait to see what they are like with a little time on them.

7. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

Yeah I knew it was a Virginia....I wanted a good Virginia flake in bulk to cellar.

8. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Glenn - you write 'em good. :sick:

9. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Why thank you! I have several other blends I am really enjoying that I want to write reviews for as well. Just have to find time. :wtf2:

10. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

bump.

After a recent rant t-bear suggested I had LBF fatigue so I have taken some study time on PS Luxury Bullseye Flake. I used to love it and then it gradually fell off my list of top tobaccos. Fact is, it seems to have lost some of the snap that made it seem great to me.

Lo & Behold: I found a long-lost bag of PSLBF in the garage this summer that was at least 4-5 years old and, with a little rehydrating, it smoked great! Just like I remembered it smoked back when. When it was all gone I pulled some out of a jar from 1-2 years back and the stuff was a shadow of the older gear. Purchased from a reliable local B&M It isn't bad - but it absolutely lacks the perique punch and the pop-out sweet-cavendish of the older gear. I have to rule out taste fatigue but it's possible the last batch I bought just wasn't up to snuff.

To contine the exercise I'll order a pound from another vendor. The saga continues.

headrott and Salcheech like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.