1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Peterson Calabas: Dalkey/Kenmare/Shannon?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by GregL, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregL

GregL Member

I was wondering if any of you gents had any experience with the above lines of Peterson pipes and could offer some reviews/thoughts. I'm moved to get a Calabash shape and I'm interested in these sub-$100 (US) offerings.

Thanks!

2. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

I have a Dalkey. The stem is made out of a harder plastic than I am used to so I only use it when I'm sitting back and can hold the pipe in my hand. Doesn't feel right when clenched. Same situation with the Irish Harp I have. I don't have any Kenmares.
    Shannon B10 is one that I've been looking at as well. Stem is made out of the more usual material so that's a plus. I like that shape. Should be a nice comfortable smoke.

3. GregL

GregL Member

Hmmm, thanks for the input. And, yes, I was kinda leaning towards the Shannon myself. Not just because of price, either, but I just seem to like that overall design better.

4. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

The Shannons are Pete's answer to the Dr G. They're basic hacking around pipes, and they smoke well enough. I liked mine, and it was one of my favorite travel pipes. Unfortunately, it was appropriated by one of my kids' friends (who I suspect used it to smoke leaf of another sort). That's the reason I now keep all my briar pipes secured in a curio cabinet that has a lock. I don't have a Kenmare or a Dalkey, but I like how they look.

5. user2725

user2725 Active Member

If You are stuck on Peterson I can understand but Butz Choquin makes some very nice 'bashes in that price range also.

6. GregL

GregL Member

Ah, I did not know that. So it would be worth the step up in price then. I am also thinking of getting a Meer in that shape.

I'm not but BC doesn't seem to be offered at smokingpipes and I just love to use their pipe finder feature.

Uh-oh, I may have just fallen in love with Erik Nording Freehands. :drly:

7. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I think so. The Arans are nice, as are the Donegals - both are good pipes for a fair price. The System pipes are nice, and the entry level System Standard runs about $95USD at Cup O Joe. The St. Paddy series are also some nice pipes, and they run about $80USD (or so).

8. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

I have a Shannon B10 and really like it.

It was my first Pete and first conical bowl, so it took some getting used to.

The only issue I have with it is that because of the bend of the shank, the mortise is drilled deeper than it should be, leading to a gurgle every now and then.

9. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I have a Shannon.. I like it..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.