1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Peterson Dalkey

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by 50rayj, Jan 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 50rayj

50rayj Active Member

I recently bought a new Pete Dalkey 68. I love the look, shape and feel of this pipe. Only problem is that it doesn't smoke they way I think a $100 pipe should smoke. It smokes hot and steamy even with dry tobacco. I've been smoking it for the past 2 weeks and with tha same tobac I smoke in other pipes with great results. Maybe I should have tried a special break in process but I just starting smoking it just like I've always smoked new pipes or any pipe for that matter.

Jeebs likes this.
  2. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

I was consider this same pipe at Christmas time, after I couldn't find the emerald rustic's i wanted... this is the second complaint against Peterson in the last month.... maybe the Peterson quality has ...................

3. 50rayj

50rayj Active Member

Yeah well I'll keep working at it. Maybe it'll eventually break in to a good smoker. Maybe I just haven't found the right tobac load for it. Just like guns, you gotta to find the right load for optimum shooting.

4. 50rayj

50rayj Active Member

I am of the belief that there is nothing special needed in breaking in a new pipe. Simply smoke it the way you smoke any pipe and it'll break itself in eventually . Especially since I tend smoke way down. I usually have very little to almost no dottle.

5. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

How is the draw? does is seem tight? I have a st. paddy day #69 (very sim to 68 bent billiard) smoked wet until I opened up the draw. Also where is the draft hole in relationship w/ the bottom of the bowl? If it's drilled high that could explain a wet pipe too.

6. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I think it'll work itself out. I've had pipes that cost twice that much that did the same thing for the first 20 bowls or so. Some pipes just take a while to cake up a little, and what you're smoking is a factor too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.