1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Peterson Killarney Purchase

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by guitarist7242, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guitarist7242

guitarist7242 Member

My Father for Christmas left me a note in a box saying 1 Peterson Pipe (Under $100). I was obviously very surprised when I opened this and immediately went to searching the internet vigorously for which kind I wanted. After many hours I finally stumbled upon the Killarney collection and fell in love. I narrowed my choice down to either the number 68 or 69 version. I have never owned a nice pipe even though I have been smoking for three years. I have never had the budget to spend $50-$100 on a decent pipe so I have been left smoking out of at $15 Dr. Grabow for years. Although I am not complaining, it surprisingly gives a very smooth smoke for being so cheap. So not being experienced in purchasing a pipe, I wanted to run it by the forums first and see what veterans thought. Is there much of a difference between a 68 and 69 or am I just pulling strings because they both look very similar? Has anyone owned either and can tell me if this is a good first purchase? Also I have never tried a P-lip before though I've head some like and some don't. Does anyone have a preference between these two? Also where is the best place to buy a Peterson? I have been to many tobacconist shops that have them but hey are normally much higher priced than the internet. Does anyone know a good site to buy them with cheap shipping? Thank you for any help!

Josh

2. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

When I was young the main thing I was interested in was getting a large volume of smoke, a healthy nose of Vitamin N and a pipe that could handle moist strong flakes - at that stage I hated P-lips and used to grind them way. Now I smoke slower, enjoy milder tobaccos as a treat and am quite taken with the P-Lip.

The original theory was that the P-lip would reduce suction ( I know I science teachers told us there's no such thing - only air pressure!) and so help the Peterson sump system to handle moisture and in the process would keep tobacco away from the smokers lip. It does work well so long as you don't go at it like a blast furnace.

At one time new Peterson pipes were noted for having an evil taste for up to a couple of weeks due to the practice of dip staining them in the factory, but I have to say the two ordinary Pete's I bought last year (Donegal Rockies) did not have this.

You've got a great Dad who gives you presents like that by the way!

Best to all

Gerry

4. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

Hello,

A Peterson was my first "expensive" pipe. I love it. A Kapet 69 rusticated. It is a standard not a P-lip. I have had both both prefer a standard stem.

I am sure you will enjoy any Peterson you purchase. Great gift from Dad.

Z

5. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Josh,

You may want to go to your B&M and see
    if they have both Petes. Hold them in
    your hand. Inspect them thoroughly,
    then you can decide which one is better.
    After that, go to an etailer and get one!
    Pete's are great!

dp

6. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

I have several Peterson pipes some w/ p-lips some without. I find myself smoking the fishtails more often than the p-lips. I would say if you're used to a standard bit stick with it. I haven't found the p-lips adds anything (just my opinion). As for buying a pipe; if its me i would like to see it before i buy it if at all possible. Make sure it is drilled correctly, make sure you like the pipe. A lot of etailers show a stock photo of a pipe other than the one they send you. But what a nice gift, I'm sure witch ever one you choose it will provide years of happy smoking.

Good Luck w/ your purchase
    Brian

7. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I have a Peterson (Ebony) Killarney which I boought at a local B&M. It was around $80-90.00 if I recall. It is my 1st and only Pete and I love it! I highly recommend it.

8. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

That is a pretty cool dad right there.

Now, not to take away from what you like...but...have you entertained a Peterson System pipe, instead? I'm not bagging on your choice...(I have a Killarney), however, a system pipe will probably make for a better bent pipe choice sight unseen. (Less chance of gurgle, built like a tank.) Also, since they are hovering at around a hundred bucks, you could get it shipped free from most places. Just a thought.

My Killarney Bulldog is quite beautiful though, so no real worries on your choice there. Get what you want, and enjoy it!

(P-lip is a subjective thing...you'll have to get one to figure it out, no one can help you there.)

9. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

I have two Killarney Petersons, both with P-lips. I love it. It fits great in my mouth for clenching and I love the feel of it. However, you might not like it at all. You might just have to take a risk on that if you want to. Good luck and what a great gift!

10. len smetona

len smetona Member

Ditto - on the advice to hold the pipe in your hand.

If you are not able to see the pipe in person Iv'e found the most important thing for mail order is to check the size! I am not a small person, and a 5 in pipe is kind of small for me (no jokes about blowing bubbles please). Small does not mean a bad smoker, I have had some good smokes with my smaller pipes. But today I am keen on the length. Smaller than 6 inches is a small pipe by my standards. So when I see something that looks beautiful in the pictures, the next thing I check is the length, and the 6 inch mark is kind of a cut off for me.

Good luck, I'm sure its a fine pipe, but expect a 5 inch pipe to be a smaller pipe.

Cheers,
    Len S

11. guitarist7242

guitarist7242 Member

I definitely take whatever suggestions ou have to offer, but I am not very familiar with Peterson, or any pipes for that matter. I've been smoking for years and am just now becoming interested in becoming well versed in the art. SO I am not sure what you mean by a "System pipe" if you could explain it, I would love to look into it.

Thanks for all the help and suppourt. I plan on definitely going doen to my local tobacconist (which is what I think B&M means from Snake, I apologize I am not used to othe terminology) and look and feel these different pipes. I becoming very excited about owning my first expensive pipe and am having a shipment of a good amount of tobacco from justforhim.com sent for the occasion.

12. pottsy

pottsy Member

Not to sway you from your B&M, cause I am all for supporting the local guy when possible, but Smokingpipes just added a BUNCH of nice new Pete's to the website. some really nice ones, that are under your budgeted price, Pete's

13. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I'm no good at linking stuff, but a system pipe...(they're numbered 3xx...302, 305, 314,etc.) is a patented? method of keeping a pipe bowl dry. It has a break where the stem terminates into the shank. The break is over a small sump/well where moisture collects. This keeps the heel of your bowl dry. In a pinch, a 'system' would be a good single pipe, since you could smoke it repeatedly (relatively) without gunking up(ghosting/mousing) the bowl. I wouldn't think it a good idea to smoke a single briar repeatedly, mind you, but the system pipe could/should be able to handle the abuse ok. Also, they're cool looking pipes with their nickel bands. And speaking of that, the band and stem design allow you to pull apart the pipe, while hot, if you need to 'mop' the well, clear the airway, etc. This is usually a no-no for briar.

It's your choice, of course. If you like the Killarneys, you won't hear me rag you on your purchase!

One more thing...It's good to ask questions! Hey, I'm explaining a system pipe to you...six months ago it was being explained to me! (I bought one, so you know.) Soon you'll be explaining it to someone else, no doubt. This website is a bloody gold mine, that way. Enjoy the journey, man.

14. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

One thing no one's mention so far is that a system pipe might be the most economical way to experience both the fishtail & p-lip, as these are military mounts and replacement stems are frequently sold by themselves. So you could buy a fishtail system pipe, and order the p-lip stem separately at a later time. Last time I checked, they were going for about $20-$25. I own a 69, and I consider it large-ish (a Dunhill Group 5, I'd reckon)--others may find the size just right. I get 1.5+ hour smokes from it. (My system pipe 303 (Dunhill grp 3) gives me consistent 60-70 min smokes, by contrast). I'd also add 4noggins as an e-tailer to check out. Most e-tailers, provide measurements for the pipe, as well as interior bowl measurements, which you could use to compare the 68 & 69 against pipe(s) you currently own.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide!

15. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

I just went throufh a similar experience. Decided to spend some cash on a decen pipe, but wanted to keep it under $100. Ended up with a killarny 03. It was my first experience with the p lip. It was aquward the first couple of times I smoked from it, but now I enjoy the p lip. Just like anything else it all comes down to preference. Some love it, others can't stand it. I put up a post in now smoking about the p lip. There was a lot of god feedback. You should check it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.