1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

peterson p-lip...not happy...help

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by bill hook, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bill hook

bill hook New Member

hi new here and hoping for some help. ive been smoking pipes for 30 years. corn cob, brier, mersh., soapstone, clay, ect. not new to pipes. so i broke down a got a peterson and i am decidedly unimpressed. the hole is in the top of the stem, not the end and my lips keep shutting off the smoke. when i wrestle with it a get the smoke its like a jet at the roof of my mouth. ive got an old webco and several dr grabows that are better than this. my molina is ten times the pipe this is. where my expectations too high and is there a trick to smoking this thing?

2. Johnny

Johnny Member

Put the mouthpiece behind your lips and your lips won't block the smoke. The p-lip takes a bit of getting used to and aren't for everyone. I love them though

irish2fish and Monkeyshine like this.
  3. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Peterson offers fishtail and P lip stems on most of their pipes, and a p lip can be chopped and converted to a fishtail. Dr G and a Czech maker (basket pipe in my case) have a more traditional airway location, which makes them more desirable. Don't let a bad stem sour you from petersons entirely though.

4. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

I really enjoy the Plip on one of my Petes and not so much on the other. I really think that the "smokeability" will vary from pipe to pipe depending on the shape and your smoking style. I'm not a clencher, so my full bend Pete 312 is just not that comfortable with the plip. My 80S is perfect.

I would say to not give up on it and it very well might grow on you.

5. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

My only beef with my Plip is that it is difficult to run a cleaner through. I have come to the conclusion that guys either love it or hate it. Worse case scenario is you sell it or trade it off for something else.

6. Morse

Morse Active Member

I am not a fan of the p-lip stems. Modding it yourself is an option you could also try Walker for a replacement

http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/pipe_repairs.html

You could also send it back to Peterson but I'm not sure how much that would be or how much time it would take

Hawkwood likes this.
  7. CACooper

CACooper Member

P-lip. Hate it, Hate it, HAAAAAAAAATE it!
    I gave them a try, I really did. Just don't work for me. Thankfully, Peterson offers most of their line with fistail stems.

CACooper

Morse likes this.
  8. Morse

Morse Active Member

Love the avatar. I just watched that movie a couple of weeks ago

9. CACooper

CACooper Member

Mr. Blandings is my favorite movie! I watch it quite often. I know virtually every frame of the film.
    And, without a doubt, the best pipe smoking film, period! Melvyn Douglas smokes his pipe in almost every scene.

Maybe you can help. What brand of tobacco is this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I've watched the scene a million times and still can't identfy it.

"Cole. Bill Cole. Friend of the family. Just came in out of the rain."

CACooper

Morse likes this.
  10. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

Briar Boy has ground down at least one to a fishtail. I have also (not as nice a job), but it's not horribly difficult. I think there's a thread but I'm too lazy to go looking for it.

11. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

Yup, I've seen this a few times (including on pipes being resold on eBay). Before altering your pipe, I'd go with the other suggestions of getting the P-lip behind your teeth and seeing if that helps. If not, surgery or having a replacement stem made (Walker Briar Works is great) could be the way to go.

12. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

I have sent my "mistake purchase" P-lips to Dave Walker to be replaced with a fishtail. I hate P-lips.

13. irish2fish

irish2fish Active Member

I clench my plips in my teeth off to one side of my mouth. Never experienced a bad smoke with them that way.

Monkeyshine and psquared like this.
  14. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

I have 19 Petes with P-lips and 11 without. I prefer the p. It keeps the stream off your tongue, but directs it to the roof of the mouth which can become irritated as well.

Monkeyshine likes this.
  15. Jim44

Jim44 Member

Not related to the p-lip thing, really. But I have a Peterson canadian with the regular stem which was my first Peterson (and last Peterson). It is simply an extremely inferior product. I've had numerous $5 or $10 basket pipes over the years that were far superior smokes. Perhaps I got the odd pipe that should have been dumped in the seconds (or thirds) bin.

That being said, I suppose that it's a matter of personal taste....

16. DanielMelange

DanielMelange Member

Jim, I think it might be a bit of both. I can say that my Peterson Tankard is a wonderful pipe, there's nothing I dislike about it, easy draw, cool smoke, p-lip clenches pretty easily (after getting used to it, which took a few smokes). I'm curious as to why you think your Peterson is inferior? Did you buy it new or as an estate pipe? Peterson has a marvellous customer service and has a 90 day warranty if you're not happy with your pipe, regardless if you bought it from a 3rd party vendor.

But yes, personal taste is always personal taste. :)

irish2fish likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.