1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Peterson P-lip stems??

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by greasemunki85, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greasemunki85

greasemunki85 Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Hey guys..
    Do any of you have any pipes with the P-lip?
    Im wondering how much different they smoke as opposed to a fishtale?
    Im looking at an Aran bulldog/rhodesian or something sort of roundish and semi-bent.
    I would like to give the P-lip design a shot.
    Im having some bad PAD for a peterson or a nording.
    Not really which one to get this week.
  2. woody

woody Release the clowns! Admin

May 4, 2009
    It's a personal choice. I have a couple and can take them or leave them, no big deal either way. I wouldn't not buy a pipe because of a p-lip.
  3. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

May 2, 2010
    I have one, and I kind of like it. The smoke goes up, hitting the top of your mouth instead of down, so it stays off the tongue. I don't know if it's the tobacco I use in my Peterson with the P-lip or the stem itself, but I do end up relighting a little more than usual. Not *much* more though.

I was also surprised that it passes a pipe cleaner just fine. The opening is a tad smaller than on your average fishtail, but it is big enough for a cleaner.
  4. Johnny

Johnny Member

Jun 8, 2010
    I like the P-lip. Directing the smoke away from the tongue is always a good thing to me. The draw on my P-lips are a little bit more restricted than my other pipes but that's fine for me and I like to smoke VA tobacco in them a bit more than others
  5. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    A P-Lip has never stop me from getting a pipe. I like them but don't have to have one on my pipes. However given a choice with Peterson pipes, I always go for the P-Lip.
  6. WillH

WillH Active Member

Oct 6, 2009
    I've got a couple P-Lips - had them for years! I'm kinda down the middle of the road on them - like a few other guys have posted. I modified a P-Lip on a Peterson 11s awhile back and it is wonderful. If you like a pipe and it has the P-lip - buy it! It wouldn't be a deal breaker with me....

7. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

Jul 28, 2010
    I got a 303 p-lip coming in the mail, can't wait to try, the wait is killing me !
  8. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Aug 26, 2010
    I have a couple of Petersons with the p-lip. I am in the "take it or leave it" camp. I like the way a fishtail feels better, and I don't notice too much difference in the way they smoke.

If I have a choice, I'd get a fishtail. But if I wanted a certain pipe and it had a p-lip, I'd be fine.
  9. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Feb 11, 2010
    I like the p-lips, but yeah, not a necessity for me. I've noticed on the two I have that one is a great clencher, the other, not so much. The width on my bulldog(80s) stem is just too fat to hold comfortably. If you clench a lot, and can visit the pipes personally, you might want to check this 'issue' out as well. I guess any pipe could have a bit too wide though, so maybe this point is moot.

10. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

Dec 10, 2009

I have a few Petersons with and with out the p-lip. I like all of them. The p-lip doesn't always feel as comfortable to in the mouth as the standard fishtale. I am a huffer and a puffer (My fault I know). That being said I have never had tongue burn from a p-lip so the trade off is worth it. I also haven't noticed any issues with keeping a pipe lit, gurgling, or having a wet smoke. I also like how it slightly changes the flavor profile of some of my tobaccoes. I mainly smoke pipes with standard stems, but enjoy my p-lips. I have heard and anyone here in the forums please correct me, that you can order from standard stems for your pipes. So, worst case is you try it, don't like it, and order a new stem. If we were at a pipe shop and I was standing next to you I would say go for it. The different experience is worth it and who knows you may love it.

11. justMike

justMike Member

Aug 8, 2010
    I have 6 Petersons (for now);- 3 Arans, 3 Dublins, the primary difference between them being that the Arans are non filtered with fishtails while the Dublins are filtered with P-lips. While I'm finding that I don't smoke any exclusivly, I'm definately leaning heavier on the Dublins, admittedly, because of the filter (a concession to the heart condition) but the P-lip is definately a factor too. Smoking identical tobaccos in all of them, I find its nigh on impossible to make the Dublins gargle, much less bite, but invariably switching back to the Arans teaches me that the difference isn't because my smoking technique has refined any :whistle:

I'll freely admit that since stumbling across this bnch of reprobates, and being lead heavily astray with their links and reviews, I got me the worst case of PAD AND TAD imaginable... I feel it won't be long before I NEED to buy the other 3 Dublins in the range...

well some things ya jus gotta DO...
  12. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Jan 7, 2010
    +1 on that!
  13. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Sep 17, 2009
    I have about 20 Petersons, about half and half on the plip and fishtail. The p-lip takes some getting used too but it's a good stem. I can go either way on them.
  14. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Jun 13, 2010
    As usual, I'm the odd duck out and
    don't get along with P-lips. Being
    in the minority here, you may just
    want to give one a try, as my opinion
    doesn't amount to about 10%. FWIW

15. WillH

WillH Active Member

Oct 6, 2009
  16. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

Jul 3, 2010
    I have two Pete's with p-lips and two without. I do prefer the fishtail over the p-lip but that is more of a personal preference. The p-lips smoke fine and never had a problem with them I just think the fishtail is more comfortable.
  17. telltime

telltime Active Member

Aug 17, 2010
    I have a couple or three Peterson's. I'm in the take it or leave it camp. One pipe I bought I actually ordered a fishtail stem for it separately so I have both stems for that pipe and must admit I haven't used the p-lip since the fishtail came in. But like most have said, it would not be a deal breaker for me. It's just different.
  18. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

Aug 25, 2010
    I like the P-lip... ...about as much as I like any other stem! :D
    Seriously tho┬┤: The P-lip fits my mouth and teeth. A little constricted airwise, but nothing out of the ordinary.

-A quality stem from a quality manufacturer.

I'm not really for or against it in any way, so go for it!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.