1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Peterson P-Lip to Fishtail Conversion

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Slow Tri, Aug 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

I was wondering if anyone has ever swapped out a P-Lip for a Fishtail on a Peterson?

I have a Pete 268 Zulu Emerald series that I just don't like the P-Lip on it. Unfortunately, the shank is smaller than any of my other 268s so I can't just swap it out.

I have contacted David at Walker Briar Works to see if he could make one but I have yet to hear back from him.

Anyone else ever done this? Any other recommendations on who I could contact to have this done?

2. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Active Member

Briar Boy, I believe, has done this.
    It is pretty simple as far as I know. You just remove the part of the p-lip with the hole that points up, leaving part of the edge to act as the button. You are left with a regular stem but one without a horizontal air slit and one that is just a hole.

3. maxflatus

maxflatus Member

A fellow forum member, Briar Boy, lopped the tip of mine off, making it nearly the same as a standard bit and saving my pipe from early retirement. You can find the pics of his-and my-conversion. He may pipe up when he sees this thread. My experience with p-lips was negative, I have no use for them.

4. Slow Tri

Hopefully he'll chime in. I found the thread but most of the pics are no longer showing.

5. nowsharing

nowsharing Member

I would also be very interested in seeing the modification. I have some Petes that barely see use because of how they dry out the roof of my mouth.

6. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Howdy! just found this thread, here are some pics of one I have done, the only difference is the hole at the bit tip is a small hole rather than a slit, you could make the slit but find they smoke fine without it...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The first I do is use a bench grinder to grind the bit tip back (photo #1) use caution as this is the most critical step of the process then I hand sand it a little with 220,400,600 grit sandpaper progressively on a flat surface then buff it with tripoli then white diamond & finally wax on a buffer, I have done about 6 of them and have been please with the results, the process can be done by hand as well, with a file and sandpaper if you don't have the other tools.

Hawkwood and nowsharing like this.
  7. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

I had Dave Walker swap all of my infernal p-lips to fishtails, he does a wonderful job.

8. Slow Tri

Just got it back from Dave at Walker Briar Works. He did a fantastic job!!

user2725 likes this.
  9. woody

woody Aloha! Admin

I have a Savinelli I plan to do this to. I'll post photos when I ever get around to actually doing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.