1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Peterson perfection

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Indy, Oct 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indy

Indy Member

In the thread “Testament to Kaywoodie Quality” I made reference to an estate Peterson xl307 that I scored on fleebay. From what I can discern it is a 50’s era pipe. Well, it arrived the other day in a horrible state. Although there was not a lot of cake build up and the rim was in good shape, the stem was disgusting. As were the system chamber and shank. I cleaned the stem with Oxiclean, 800-1500 grit paper, and a magic eraser. Bowl was completely stripped with alcohol and the cake was sanded down to a very fine layer with 400grit and then given two salt treatments. The outside was taken from 800 through 1500grit and finished off with the magic eraser and some alcohol. When it was thoroughly dry, I wiped it down with mineral oil. It’s absolutely stunning to my eyes. It was born-again with a few bowls of 10 Russians.
    My impressions: Built like a tank, classic beauty. The p lip really works…but not for the reasons typically stated – tongue bite. For me it greatly reduced the nasty ashtray tongue/breath I typically get! Directing the smoke towards the glassy (in comparison the shag carpet of the tongue) roof of the mouth makes all the difference in the world. The system chamber and tapered large diameter stem really do their job. Tonight I smoked a bowl of one of my gummy blends and deliberately tried to get a gurgle…didn’t happen. I suppose this is why the design has lasted over 100 years, has imitators, and has such a rabid following. The only downfall (for some) would be a bit that does not led its self to clenching. This is a sit, fondle, and contemplate design….It suits my smoking style to a tee. The Peterson system xl 307 has dethroned my Kwood meer as my favorite smoke!

[​IMG]

2. Indy

Indy Member

Here is restoration...

[​IMG]

3. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

Wow, great restoration.

4. Indy

Indy Member

Thanks Jayson....its a labor of love.

5. dbwittkopf

dbwittkopf Member

sexy. Moderator edit...please refrain from using 'cutsey' euphimistic language such as what I deleted. Thank you. :yy:

6. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

I love seeing pipes go from gross to great. Great job!

7. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Nice pipe, and nice resto! Looks like your Pete has a goodly amount of birdseye too. Bonus!

8. Indy

Indy Member

Yep....birdseye on the bottom and flames up the side with only one little fill right on the edge of the band.

9. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

great job

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.