1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Peterson Pipes - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by CraigH, Aug 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CraigH

CraigH Member

I have owned two Petersons for several years now, a Smooth Tankard and a Bulldog Flame Grain. I've tried and tried to like the pipes, but the odd lip on these pipes just doesn't cut it for me. I find them uncomfortable to hold in my mouth, and worse yet the location of the air hole draws the smoke directly up onto the roof of my mouth, causing some irritation there.

I would be curious to read about some other members thoughts about Petersons, and if you've had better luck than I have with them.

Cheers,

Craig

2. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

Not sure if you know this, but not all Petersons have the "P-Lip". They do offer the conventional "Fishtail" bits as well. Personally, I don't mind the P-Lip, but if I have the option of getting the Fishtail, I go for that.

3. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Many pipers smoke Petersons and they are one of the most popular brands out there. But the p-lip takes getting used to. Some like and some don't, but they can all be ordered with a fishtail bit.

4. Mbalta

Mbalta Member

Can't add much to what have been already said. My personnal and short experience, tells me that I enjoy P-Lips IF the pipe is a bent shape. It sits really confy on the lip and it doesn't irritate me more than a regular fishtail.

I have a X105 (straight shape) that came with a P-Lip and that was strange, because if I had the pipe more loose on the mouth the hole "glued" to my gum (just behing the front teeth), and that was odd, to say the least... so to keep the air hole free I had to close the jaw stronger which is very unconfortable. Had it replaced for a fishtail stem, still is a great smoker!

5. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Active Member

My first non-cob was a p-lip'd Pete straight billiard and the pipe after that was a bent (system 302). I have never had a problem smoking either pipe. I think a lot depends on how your teeth in your mouth sit and how your jaw closes.

6. Squatch347

Squatch347 Member

The first pipe I had was in inherited P-Lip from my dad, I like it, gives me a bit more control on where the smoke goes in my mouth and I like the bite area to hold onto.

7. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Quite the reverse, my first Petersons were fishtails, a churchwarden and an 80s. My most recent ones are systems with P-lips, a meer and a 301. I really enjoy each of these pipes! I find that if I put my top teeth infront of the button on the P-lip, and my bottom teeth behind it, I can change up the way I clench for a while and redirect the smoke. I also like the P-lip to give my tongue a break if I've gotten overzealous and cooked my tongue a little on something.

8. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

I have both types and love them. The plip can be a bit hard to clench so I put a bit of black tubing over the end..perfect clencher now..I bought the tube a bit small and heated it in hot water to fit over the stem.. works perfect

9. WillH

WillH Active Member

I don't dislike the P-lip but I'd rather not have a P-lip if given a choice. For one thing the stem seems a bit too thick - don't care for that. Also, the P-lip doesn't seem to fit my teeth pattern if I want to clinch the pipe when needing my hands free.

I modified one of my P-lips and I actually like how it turned out.
    [​IMG]
    Will

shadow likes this.
  10. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Personally I prefer the P-Lip but I can go either way. Petersons are built like trucks, tough as nails.

11. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

I also inherited a Peterson from a dad, a Zulu shaped 268 with a fishtail bit. Love the pipe, a little on the small side but smokes great. As far as bits are concerned, I would like to try the P-Lip, but I think the fishtail is kind of nice since it is what is most common, and works just fine. Not sure if I want the smoke to go directly up onto the roof of my mouth, if you know what I mean. I think Peterson make some economic, classy pipes... besides, they are from Ireland!

12. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I've never owed a Peterson, I've thought about buying one many times, but have always hesitated about the P-Lip, just not sure how I'd like it.

13. Iain

Iain Active Member

Same here

14. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Plenty of "fishtails" in the sea.

Jussto, yinyang and Vaquero like this.
  15. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

This.

I am confused...it appears that it ISN'T common knowledge that Peterson has both button styles in wide usage?

16. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

My solution was to buy an estate pipe off of fleabay with the P-Lip. At worst, if I hated it, I'd only be out ~$30.

17. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I have both. I like the p-lip so much I got a forever stem with one for my cobs. I never choose a pipe based on the bit when looking at which to smoke, but I do not look down upon it either.

18. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I like the looks of a Pete...the price? Not so much!

19. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

Petes are pretty decently priced for what you get IMO. Savinelli is also around that price point. Of course, they have higher priced ones, but both companies have great pipes for sub $100.

20. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

Absolutely my favourite pipe is a 302 with P-lip mouthpiece. It smokes great and is one of the few pipes where all I'm left with is grey ash at the end of a smoke. I have several other Pete's, all bent types and love most of them. The 317 is too small and I dislike the star system in the 309 (makes it harder to draw), but the 301, 312, 314, 307, XL305 calabash and 309 standard system are all good smokes.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.