1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Peterson Pipes - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by CraigH, Aug 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

I have 302 with p lip and love it.

2. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Active Member

My ebony 302 system w/ p-lip is also my favorite pipe.

3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Will is on the right track. You shouldn't have any worries about buying a P lip and not liking it. Hell, a nail file, hand drill and 15 minutes and your problem is gone. Easier yet if you have detailing tools.

4. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I have both types of bit and don't see that either is superior, other than the occasional difficulty getting a pipe cleaner through the P-lip.

5. Duke

Duke Member

When I’m in the market to buy a pipe today, beyond design and style, stem comfort and openness of draw carry significant weight. The p-lip is the finest example in how not to make a comfortable pipe. I own two aesthetically pleasing Peterson pipes. Were it not for those damn p-lips they’d be among my favorite pipes. Despite having drilled open the p-lip stems, the stem and button are still woefully too thick. When clenching the bit it feels like I’ve got a 9/16” bolt in my mouth- no thank you. Yet this is not an exclusive feature held by Peterson alone, I’m proud owner of an English made squat Bulldog with a saddle bit. Although it is a handmade pipe that stem is most uncomfortable. Holding a canoe paddle between your teeth would be less taxing. Give me a thin, quality ebonite stem any day.

6. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

I'll send you my address, that way you can rid yourself of such dreadful pipes (the petersons that is :P)

7. Duke

Duke Member

I apologize if I appeared overly critical towards Peterson’s. It’s a personal preference that I lean toward thinner stems with an open draw. I did mention that those pipes are sharp looking and the bowls and draft holes are drilled perfectly. The shapes are well executed and the stain and finish are artfully applied. Today, if I’m not satisfied with bit comfort and pipe breathability I don’t by the pipe. From must fallow function.

8. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

:P Methinks you took my post too seriously. It was intended as a joke, and I can completely understand. By chance, have you tried any of the fishtail petes?

9. shadow

shadow Active Member

I have 3 Petersons: Two with P-lip... which is....well.... sort of OK, and one with a regular fishtail stem. I like all three of them, they're good smokers but I seriously doubt if I ever buy another one. There's nothing wrong with them! They're just your basic, good pipe. But compared with my Dunhills, Barlings, Charatan, Orliks, Parkers etc and last but not least my COB (!!!!!!!!!!) they do fall a bit behind, I'm afraid!

10. SenatorXMG

SenatorXMG Member

I've got 18 Petersons. Of those 18, 5 are Deluxe System pipes in various shapes...all with p-lips. These are my best smokers of all my Petersons...they are fantastic! Out of all the other Pete's I have, I prefer the fishtail bits. I'm not sure why it is so but the p-lips on the cheaper pipes don't seem to feel or draw as well as the better ones do. My gold and silver spigots have fishtails and I love them.

Would I say that I "love" the p-lip? No. If given the option, I would choose the fishtail....but with the Deluxe System, that option does not exist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.