1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Peterson Plato freehand pipes?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Russell Hartman, Jan 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

First off its been a while since I have been on here as I had severe back issues, and then a nasty infection---finally through all that---so anywho I thought I'd drop by with a question. Recently I have had my eye on a Peterson Plato freehand--and yes I know the shape doesn't appeal to tons of folks, but I really like the platue(forgive spelling error) top pipes. My question is two fold----#1--whats your opinions on these? #2---Many say that Petersons freehand pipes, and Plato series are "rare"----just how rare---is this more a marketing ploy, or do you really think they only do turn out small quantities each year??? To all thanks for your input in advance.

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

They are nice aesthetically and i'm sure they'll smoke very nicely. You are right, many nowadays don't care for the lines of the pipes. I already have a bunch of freehands, none Petes, but that sort of keeps the "jones" away...sort of ;)

Ed
    Puff...Cup O Joe's has quite a few....

3. Brian Powers

Brian Powers Member

I'm a HUGE Peterson fan, but when the urge to buy a free hand became too much, I opted for a Ben Wade (or two). While I like the Platos, they didn't seem to have the same character as the Danish free hands. Having said that, I'm sure your post will spur my eventual purchase of a Plato.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  4. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

I would prefer a fishtail

5. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Ditto, the Danes just have a way with freehand pipes. Give me a Ben Wade or Nording any day!

6. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Thanks for the replies folks--I actually handled the Plato--it was one of 2 at my local shop. I own many freehand pipes, but the thing that stuck in my mind was the comments by some that they are "very limited", or "rare". I have to question as to the rarity of them. I actually wonder if the description of "rare", or "very limited" is in fact true. I also was surfing the web looking at some Ben Wades as talked about above----NICE PIPES. Prices are VERY good on them too. For some reason I just can't seem to convince myself to pick up the Plato--especially at the cost right now when I have seen pipes recently that spoke to me(ha-ha-ha). I found a nice little Vauen EA930 poker white dot that called my name--took out the filter, and installed the adapter. It smokes nice, and I couldn't resist it for some reason--PAD overcame on the spot when I handled it. Left the Plato alone--another guy in the shop was foaming at the mouth over them, and bought one---For some reason although interesting the Plato simply didn't jump at me---I still hear it calling distantly, but for some reason can't bring myself to grab it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.