1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Peterson question

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Drek, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drek

Drek Member

So I finally decided which Peterson to get, the winner was Royal Irish. Needless to say, a beautiful pipe, but after close examination I found the following marks inside the bowl (see photo). Anyone have any idea what they represent? Could it be to improve burn?

[​IMG]

2. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Just a guess here but, it looks like some sort of chuck for securing the bowl. Maybe for a lathe or similar device. Is this a new or estate pipe?

Drek likes this.
  3. Drek

Drek Member

It's a new one. I thought about that, but you would think they would clean that up?

4. WillH

WillH Active Member

They all have that - all the ones I've owned anyhoo - except for my older Peterson pipes which didn't! Irish is correct they are chuck marks for holding the pipe during manufacture and finishing.

I wouldn't worry about them! They don't need to be "cleaned up". It's the amount of finish that's in the bowl I don't care for!

Will

Drek likes this.
  5. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Looks like tooling marks to me. I highly doubt it's deliberate to improve performance. It might actually help build initial cake, though. After a few smokes there will be no trace left.

6. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I have a number of Petersons and none of them have those markings. I wouldnt worry about them if I did however.

7. Drek

Drek Member

Kinda disappointing to see in such an expensive pipe. Flawless bowl my a$$...

8. Out of Town

Out of Town Member

It won't matter once you've smoked the pipe in and built up some cake......

Jayson H Bucy likes this.
  9. WillH

WillH Active Member

Don't worry about it! Really, it won't hurt the smoking. As a personal preference I do clean the finish out of the bowls with cotton balls and alcohol. It's not hard and the finish comes right out with a little scrubbing! Clean the shank out with Q-Tips dipped in OH as well.

Will

10. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

My Supremes and Deluxes have that and it is nothing to get your concerns up about. If it bothers you, sell it! Or don't buy one and close eyes on inspection before you buy. My cheaper Petes have the pre-carbonized paint that covers it all. The Royal Irish is an upper class Pete and from the looks of the bowl (from what I can see) is a high grade Pete. You should be happy with that one. Besides, your smoking the bowl will do more damage (if any) than the markings you point out. Don't get all p/o'd about nothing. It's a Pete for Pete's sake! My smooth Pete Mollys have them too. Smoke your RI and enjoy it! Get over it. You other slammers don't really know what you are talking/writing about.

Ed
    Puff

11. Drek

Drek Member

Oh, I am sure it would smoke well, but then again so would an $80 Peterson. The reason I didn't spent $80 but $300 was so I can get the best Peterson has to offer. That's like saying that some filling on a top of the line pipe is fine, since it won't affect the smoking quality.

I guess I expected a bit more from the pipe, considering the price (no toolmarks anywhere, for example).
    I have a flame grain Peterson coming tomorrow and will see if that one will have the same markings. Either way, now I kinda regret not spending the extra $100-$150 and getting a new Dunhill...

12. Puff The Magic

Even my $600 gold banded Supremes have markings like that. Smoke her and enjoy!

Ed
    Puff

P.s. Filling or fills is way different from tooling marks. My custom pipes from nearly every custom carver has some tooling marks or "slips". A fill shows flawed wood. Tooling markings indicate nothing to do with flaws/imperfections of the wood. After 20 bowls I'd bet that RI will regain pedestal status in your pipe arsenal.

P.p.s. No I did not pay $600 for them. ;)

13. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Who's to say that the Dunnie wouldn't have similar tool marks......after all it's a factory pipe as well.

14. Drek

Drek Member

You're right, no guarantee with Dunhill either. I guess I am really shocked at the toolmarks. I've owned some real pieces of work $20 pipes and never seen a toolmark...Peterson could've at least put a piece of fabric over the chucks to avoid the marks :) or at least ream the bowl...

15. Puff The Magic

Why take the chance of ruining an amazingly flawlwess hunk of briar by not having the vise tight enough and letting things slip? What's to say that other premium pipe makers don't have these marks but have been sanded out prior to shipping? The vise markings on the inner bowl are to stabilize the stumble while the outer bowl surface is shaped/sanded/buffed etc. Would you rather have vise marks on the outer bowl with a smooth as glass inner bowl surface? Like I say, after 20 bowls or so, you won't notice it.

Ed
    Puff

P.s. Of course a more expensive expanding vise with soft jaws and wider jaws would not leave marks as deep as those if any at all but also requires more expansion pressure to hold things stable. Expansion pressure that could crack the bowl and trash the bowl.

16. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Not exactly. Fills will always be there and you'll always see them. Those marks in the bowl will literally be gone, not just hidden, but completely gone after you've smoked her for a while. Smoke that pipe for five years, ream it back to bare wood, and I'll buy you a new one if you can find any trace of those marks ;)

17. Mbalta

Mbalta Member

My Pete system and Supreme, both had those kind of markings. They always smoked so good, I couldn't even remember anymore...

18. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Member

My favorite pipe is a savinelli and it has markings on the inside too, who knows why they do it but i love the pipe and it looks good on the outside and smokes great on the inside :)

19. Drek

Drek Member

Yeah, the pipe is gorgeous, no doubt, and smokes very well for being in the break-in stage.
    I think I might have over-reacted :rolleyes:

Feels a bit too small for me, though. Can anyone suggest a Peterson/Savinelli full bent BIG egg? All the websites I've been to certainly don't make it easier to browse the pipes...

20. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Member

Have you tried Smokingpipes.com? That links to the savinelli page, if you look in the dropdown list you can see all the shapes but I don't see an egg shape, but the Peterson page does!

Drek likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.