1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Peterson question

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Drek, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Vaperburlataro ! Mayor

Sep 25, 2009
    When guys work on a pipe . Theres a few different ways to secure it . Those 'marks' you see are from the tool that holds the pipe [ as has been mentioned ] . Others use a cone made of wood , or whatever , that the chamber slides onto ... in order to hold the pipe . Theres vices and all kinds of stuff to secure a pipe . Those marks will in no way mess w/ the pipes ability to smoke properly . They are not considered flaws by rational people . It's inside the bowl .... after a few smokes , ya wont even see it . You could always sand it if it freaks ya out to much ... but why would you . It's one of those things that really dont matter .
    1stGenRex and RealityCheck like this.
  2. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Ah very intersting I always wondered what they were but I just assumed it was to help it smoke cooler :p Ruffinogold strikes again :th1:
  3. Drek

Drek Member

Sep 18, 2011
    Peterson confirmed it was toolmarks. Here is an excerpt of their email, just in case someone does a search in the future:

The marks that you refer to are inside of the bowl and you are quite correct they are tool marks, confirmation that our pipes are handmade, made by a tool that holds the bowl in place while one of our craftsmen is working on it.

In our opinion this does not detract from the overall appearance of the pipe as eventually the inside of the bowl will be covered with a layer of carbon. We assure you that only the best of briar is used for our Royal Irish Collection.
    ATXPipe likes this.
  4. SenatorXMG

SenatorXMG Member

Aug 25, 2011
    If you're looking for a bigger pipe...go with the Peterson Darwin Deluxe. Nice big bowl and one heck of a smoker. Out of the 40+ pipes I own, it's my favourite to smoke. So much so that I bought a second one!!!
  5. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

May 19, 2010
    That's cool that they came back and answered you...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.