1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Peterson rings

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by clm42, Oct 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clm42

clm42 Member

I just bought (as in it hasn't even shipped yet) an estate Peterson that was only 55 because some idiot knocked the ring off. Never even smoked it, just took off the cosmetic ring. Anyways I want to put a new one on and know JH Lowe sells silver rings. Do Petes have anything stamped on the rings or are they blank? I don't mind it being blank when out should be stamped but if I can make this thing back to like new it would be great. It might still be listed on SP if anyone wants to take a look.

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Link?

If you are talking about a system...ring..., then yes, they are stamped. Other lines of Petersons have 'rings', but it would really help to see it.

3. clm42

clm42 Member

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=88224
    More like that. In the pic the stem sat flush with the briar and there was a noticably darker ring where the metal ring used to be. I have the product number from the order but not a page id so I can't try to find if the page still exists in their system or not. The pipe is no longer listed unfortunatly. The pipe I bought was not listed as being a system pipe.

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

By 'really help', I meant for others, it appears...sorry, i'd be guessing with this one. I can say putting an aftermarket silver band on it will likely be a nice upgrade, even if you lose out on a possible stamping.

5. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

I believe, and this is just from a quick look, that the band generally just has the Peterson logo on it unless its on the higher end of their pipe line and has an actual sterling band.

6. clm42

clm42 Member

Thanks for the help. Since its only 55 I'm guessing it was a lower end pipe to begin with. Ill probably get a silver band instead of nickle since the price is not must higher. I'm excited, this is my first Peterson. I'm glad to add it to my all Savinelli collection.

7. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

As I understand it, Pete's silver bands have a hallmark in addition to the Pete logo because Ireland requires it.

8. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Contact Peterson and they will take care of you.

9. clm42

clm42 Member

That's a good idea Jesla

10. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

You'll have to send the pipe back for repair and verification......they will not just send you a ring but you pipe will for all intense a purposes be new.

11. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

It's iffy. Out of four Deluxes, I have two that do and two that don't. I think it all depends on whether Seamus can lay hands on the stamp that day or if it fell under the bench.

12. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

Seamus is a good Scotch name and we don't fall under benches we meant to sit on the floor so as not to intimidate the rest of you with our stature.

13. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Well, Gaelic is common to both lands in question, so no offense intended. And the Lowry in me says, "It's Scots, not Scotch. Scotch is a uisge beatha." ;)

Jayson H Bucy likes this.
  14. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

The previous owner may have just lost the ring. I know on my Aran, I had to glue it down, because it came off pretty easily if the stem was not in place.

15. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

The bands if they are silver or gold, are hallmarked and also indicate year of production. Only Pete can bring her back to oem properly and legitimately. Non precious metals are usually nickel. They have no hallmarks but may have some Pete logo/trademark stampage.

Ed
    Puff

16. clm42

clm42 Member

Well got the pipe and no band but a definit dark ring where it was. I must say it is a wee little pipe. I did not expect it to be so small. I mean tiny. Should sit well in the mouth as it weighs nothing at all. On the same order I got a Pete churchwarden for my dad for christmas and its tiny as well. Not as samll but still small. Is this common for Petes? Being tiny? Perhaps Im just used to big beefy Savs.

17. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Depends on the model. Pete's "XL", Kinsales, Sherlock Holmes, and House pipes are quite large.

Ed
    Puff

18. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Ferrule, ring or band? I always called it a ferrule. Any good pipe repair guy can replace it but, if silver, I wouldn't count on the Eire or Pete hallmark unless you send it to a Pete repair joint. Nickel doesn't tarnish, anyhow. From the OP it isn't exactly clear to me if you bought the pipe from smokingpipes.com. If you did, and if there was supposed to be a ferrule on the pipe (whether or not it was clear in the listing photo), I suspect they would replace it for you as a courtesy.

'Em tiny little bowls cry out for very nice virginia or virginia-perique flake tobacco. Tiny little bowls can be a good thing.

http://aspipes.org/pipe-parts/

http://www.tobaccopipesdictionary.com/Ferrule.html

19. clm42

clm42 Member

Yes the correct term is ferrule but smoking pipes called it a ring so that's what I was calling it. I'm going to grab it with some calipers and take some pics to send to Peterson and see if I can get a nickel ring without having to send it all the way to Ireland.

20. clm42

clm42 Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.