1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Peterson Special Reserve 2013

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Lukasaurus, Jun 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Active Member

Managed to track down a tin of this stuff, it should be with me by early next week, looking forward to trying it!

I just wondered if anyone else had tried this stuff yet, and if so, what you opinion on it is?

I've had mixed experiences with Peterson tobaccos (although I can't fault their pipes obviously!) having thoroughly enjoyed the summertime 2012 and sweet Killarney, whilst finding the Sherlock Holmes a touch disappointing. I find their limited edition releases to be usually pretty good, so thought I'd take a punt at this stuff. Yellow and red Virginias with dark cavendish and a touch of peach and passion fruit, sounds right up my street!

I'll let y'all know how it goes down when it arrives next week :)

Old Codger and David Emond like this.
  2. synt4x

synt4x Member

Haven't tried it but one of my local tobacconists does have it in stock so I look forward to hearing your opinion on it.

3. Marc Freeman

Marc Freeman Member

Really nice tobacco. Sweet, fruity, perfect for summer evenings.

Lukasaurus likes this.
  4. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Active Member

Wicked, looking forward to it even more now :)

5. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

While the flavors aren't always my personal favorite, their special releases are always good quality - an aro that arrives nearly at an appropriate moisture level for smoking!

6. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Active Member

It finally arrived :) I'll get round to writing a proper review when I have the time, but here are my initial thoughts on this stuff:

Wow.

I think this is the most pleased I've ever been with a tobacco purchase. Whilst I'm sure it won't be everyone's cup of tea, I think I've found one of the best suited tobaccos to my taste in a long time.

The tin note is sensational. Rich, dense, fruity, sweet and intoxicating. After jarring this stuff up, I decided to give it a whirl in my falcon, as this was the driest and cleanest tasting of my pipes at hand. I took up a pew in a sheltered spot in the garden and lit up. Lit beautifully and initial draws told me I was onto a winner. An ideal tobacco for my coming summer, being light (but not too light), fruity and moreish. Promised notes of peach and passion fruit are present without being sickening or overpowering. The passion fruit is admittedly a little more subtle and took a bit of thaveming. Smoked pretty cool with ZERO tongue bite and lingered on my palate afterwards, infant I can still taste it (and very welcome it is too :) ) excellent tobacco composition, the Virginias are top notch with a slight zing which is most welcome, and the cavendish adds real depth and that little clout I was looking for.

On a side note, that was a cracking smoke in general, a real zen moment :P

Bravo peterson! As I've mentioned, they have been hit and miss with some numbers in my eyes but they're obviously putting a lot of though into their limited edition releases.

Marc Freeman and Old Codger like this.
  7. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Active Member

And a couple of pictures of the tin for anyone interested:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old Codger likes this.
  8. Morse

Morse Active Member

Really glad to hear you liked it. I look forward to Peterson's Limited editions every year - sounds like they have another winner. Can't wait for it to hit Stateside.

9. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

It hasn't shown up at 4Noggins or smokingpipes yet, but I'll be buying a couple of tins when they do land here.

Morse likes this.
  10. Moose

Moose Active Member

I'll probably buy a tin of this when it's easily available. I usually try to buy at least on of their new blends each year. Thanks for the review.

11. jwh891

jwh891 Member

I think I'll have to pick some of this up. Cool looking tin too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.