1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

peterson spigot question

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by David Emond, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Hi everyone,

My local store has this Peterson Spigot full bent with a red cumberland swirly type of stem. He must have had this for a long time because lots of patina has set in on the silver cap and spigot.

Anyways hes selling it for 350$. I cant find anyother store that has a pipe like this to compare.
    is this too much?

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

3. David Emond

Yes ive seen some on SP, green and red stained pipes just under 300. Just wondering if the cumberland stem is worth the extra cash.

4. ruffinogold

Oh , I see ... is the stem worth the other 100 bucks or so . Hmmm ... I don't know .

snowman and PipeSimmo like this.
  5. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

I don't think it is worth any more. $350-370 should get you a top of the line Peterson spigot. Is the pipe you are considering exceptional?

David Emond likes this.
  6. David Emond

Well i dont know if its exceptional, but what i know is that ive never seen a spigot with a cumberland stem before. I wish i had a camera with me.

7. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

If you think it's worth the extra money for the Cumberland stem then go ahead and get it. But if you're not really in love with that pipe consider what else you could do with that money.
    You could get a sas and a real nice supply of baccy from 4noggins for that price.

Old Codger and David Emond like this.
  8. David Emond

true true.

9. David Emond

looks just like this but without the curve in the stem.
    [​IMG]

PipeSimmo, ruffinogold and AussieTX like this.
  10. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

Nice looking Pete, but I personally wouldn't pay 350 for it.

David Emond likes this.
  11. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

A lot of B&Ms up here get dinged on pricing because of taxes, David. The prices in my local area on pipes are usually a bit inflated, but by the time you factor in the shipping and all, it's usually not that big of a difference. Plus, you pay a premium for getting to hold the pipe in your hand and check it out before paying. Not ideal, but I have a couple of pipes that I probably wouldn't have bought had I seen them in the store before paying.

ruffinogold and David Emond like this.
  12. David Emond

You are right my friend, thank you.

13. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Active Member

if you like it go ahead.. +/- $50/S100 isn't that big of a deal what will be worse is thinking about the one you liked that got away.

14. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

If you own the pipe for 20 years, $50 works out to $2.50 a year. Basically nothing... :D

Sasquatch and ruffinogold like this.
  15. ruffinogold

Yeah . plus ..... say you give it to your kid or another younger person and they smoke it . That's such a nice pipe , not one that will turn into a beater pipe , it should be passed down. That picture a few frames up made me realize how nice of a pipe we're talking about

16. David Emond

Well i may end up going to get it lol. Maybe i can negotiate a bit with him since i do buy allot from him to support him.

Buckshot likes this.
  17. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

Two serious comments if I might. The pipe seems to narrow in the center of the bowl, on the shankside, unless I am not awake yet. It is related to the Sherlock Holmes Original in shape. That kind of bowl smokes hot and is more susceptible to burnout. The other thing is the price. I think it is too high for that pipe. I bought a similar, smaller Peterson pipe in the bent apple shape, new, on Ebay, for $152. and it included a Zippo. And a second, slightly larger version of that pipe with the Cumberland stem from an expensive pipe shop for around $200.

David Emond likes this.
  18. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

That's the spirit, David. :th1: Go get that bad boy before somebody else does.

David Emond likes this.
  19. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

If you have some photos, it might help David in his negotiations with the BM owner :)

Also, I think David said the pipe he saw was LIKE that one in the photo, but not exactly the same.

David Emond likes this.
  20. David Emond

Your right, the pipe is not quite the same. Same stem color. But the bowl is of a more traditional shape. Also the stem does not have that grove right after the spigot.

I dont know if he will let me take a picture of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.