1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Peterson Stem Cleaning.

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by PipeLotus, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PipeLotus

PipeLotus Member

Evening gentlemen.

I'm going to try and not post a hate-filled tirade. However, this Peterson Aran has me beaten. For the past ten minutes I have been spewing expletives and trying every single permeation imaginable in regards to techniques involved in removing a Peterson Aran stem, from the rest of the pipe.

I used a torque bar on a 400lb tire's lugnuts that had rusted over the period of several years. I'm not saying I'm the strongest man alive or anything, but I've dealt with things that require a little bit more muscle then an average joe's bench press.

I've never dealt with anything like this Peterson stem. To be frank, I CANNOT get it back on. I had to use a towel and a heck of a lot of effort just to get the damn thing off so I could clean it. Are Peterson stems supposed to be removable? Am I doing something wrong? It doesn't help that the darned stem is almost impossible to get a good grip on.

Any tips? Twisting works for a ways, and brute force works for a bit more, but this darned thing still has a small gap.

I'm a few seconds away from grabbing a pair of pliers and a rubber mallet.

:mad:

2. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

I had one once that was tighter than it ought to be. It seemed to have something on it that came off quite easily after twisting it around a couple of times in some fine sandpaper.

3. PipeLotus

PipeLotus Member

Since my last post an hour ago, I have been wrestling with it non-stop. I've used my knife first to scratch away the paint around the edge of the stem, and then to clean the inside of the shank in case something was caught there. Then I used it as a hammer to try and brute force it in. Nothing is working. This stem simply wasn't made for this pipe. I havent the slightest idea how they got it in there in the first place. It would take some sort of machinery to put this thing back together.

While it was a great smoker, its now completely useless to me. The stem simply wont go in all the way.

I won't be purchasing another Peterson product.

4. Old Codger

Send Peterson a note. The wood may have swollen due to some reaction with stain or any of a myriad possible other reasons. Frankly it's not your problem and Peterson will make it right a heck of a lot faster than any car dealer on the planet will take care of a problem. It will be rectified.

Jammer and dwaugh like this.
  5. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Obviously if it was in all the way to begin with it should go back, but many Peterson's do seem to have a large gap... When I saw photo's of Peterson's I used to think people just didn't bother to put the stem all the way in, but then I found that it's normal for some of their pipes (I don't own one).

6. Old Codger

Some of the Petersons like the Rosslares do have the stem standing off but I don't think the Arans do. Anyway, it's quick and easy to photo the pipe and send a note to Peterson, so why bother messing around with it.

dwaugh likes this.
  7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

As a general rule, hammers do not enter in the pipe equation except, maybe, when building a pipe cabinet. If the pipe was new, send it back. It shouldn't be your job to file and hammer and remove lug nuts just to enjoy a smoke.

8. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

I now have eight Pete's and they're all fine pipes, even the 50 year old Donegal Rocky. They really do stand by their pipes and I agree if you contact the factory they'll most likely make an effort to rectify the situation.

Jammer likes this.
  9. Duke

Duke Member

You'll first need a brown paper bag. Once that is in hand, place it over your nose and mouth and breath slowly till you sense your pulse is dropping from a slower breathing cadence. Then place your pipe in your freezer for at least an hour. This requires a great deal of will power not to dart into to freezer every 5 minutes to assess any forward progress. This effort should provide the desired results. Once removed, find a pencil with soft lead and freely and liberally apply a heavy coating of graphite on to the tenon. Carefully re-fit the stem into the pipe. If you find resistance, forego the hammer, mallet or impact wrench, but re-apply more graphite and try again. By chance, did the tenon part of the stem come in contact unusually high heat or the briar mortise with water? The graphite should work. Like dwaugh mentioned the pipe arrived with stem fitted flush to the briar, so it should fit again.

10. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Yes, if you bought it new, write them and send it back. They have a good rep for dealing with these things.

11. PipeLotus

PipeLotus Member

:beck:

Duke's advice worked like a charm. I took the pipe along with a few others out to a weekend drill, and let them sit in my locker for the weekend. The leather pouch they where in should have protected them. Then again, I did smoke during a particularly hot noon before doing all of this. I'm not sure what the issue was, but the 'freezing' did the trick! I slipped it in no problems.

I was dead-set on sending it back, but decided to give myself a day to cool off. Glad I did. I had no idea temperature had such an effect on wood. Metal? Sure, but briar? Guess I still have alot to learn about pipes.

Thanks again for all the help and advice!

Tony Malerich and Old Codger like this.
  12. PipeLotus

PipeLotus Member

...and here we are again. I can't get the stem off, in fact, its even harder then before.

So. I bought the Peterson from an online dealer. In this case, Pipesandcigars.com. Should I email Peterson, or the website? Will Peterson stand behind a product that someone else has sold?

13. Tony Malerich

You could certainly try P&C since that might be easier than sending a pipe over to Ireland. That said, Peterson is a definite go-to option, and you should almost certainly be able to get what you need through them. I don't think they sell directly to consumers, going through merchants is the norm.

14. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

What duke said & try beeswax..

15. PipeLotus

PipeLotus Member

Minor Update Gentlemen,

Well, in the end I have been completely unwilling to send it back. Mainly due to the fact that it has entered my regular rotation. It is a darn fine smoker, and rivals my Savinelli. In the end, I've found that pulling the stem straight out is very hard, and usually not worth the leg work. However, light torqueing to the sides or up an down and shes comes off fairly easy. I'm sure in time the pipe will be perfectly fine.

Some things you just gotta work differently then you expect. Thanks for putting up with me gentlemen. I tend to lose my cool over the small things. Thanks again!

16. Old Codger

Try the graphite pencil lead. Since things are working a bit better now, that little bit of lubricant might just bring the pipe up to happiness level.

17. Tony Malerich

Glad to hear that it's coming along AND that it's settled into your rotation. Pete's are indeed pretty fantastic smokers.

18. Chriss

Chriss Member

Heres a really stupid idea, actualy kinda of a question idea. If your stem is to tight, can you smoke your pipe and when it gets hot/warm twist it in and out ? would that slack it up or could it damage your pipe ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.