Peterson Sunset Breeze

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by erickghint, Aug 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erickghint

erickghint Member

So I traded with TraderBob for a bit of baccy (who, might I mention, is a dream to trade with). One of the tobaccos I traded for was Sunset Breeze. I'm normally not huge on aros, but I'd wanted to give this one a try. When the package arrived today, I tore into it and opened the tin of SB. I took a bit out, maybe enough for 1/2 a bowl, and set it aside to dry for about an hour. After the allotted time, I loaded my pipe and put fire to leaf. The first pull was wonderful. This is a fairly sweet weed, and I really dig it. Nothing I would smoke all day, but a great change of pace from straight Va. or burley. The amaretto flavor is there, but not really in your face. Just enough to let you know it's there, without overpowering the tobacco taste too much. Smokes down really nicely, and doesn't leave a wet bowl at all. All in all, it's a great blend that hits the spot if you're looking for a sweet dessert weed. I'll stick to my Virginias and burleys for my all day smokes, but SB is a great tobacco to relax with.

2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Trying the Peterson tobaccos this year was one of my projects and what a great experience for me it's been.

Just as I'd settled for smoking plain undoctored virginias, I got my first tin of Sherlock Holmes and loved it so much I ordered up 10 more to cellar for special occasions. My next discovery was Sunset Breeze and it became my instant favourite "special tobacco." I smoke it Brit style straight out of the tin without drying and it works well like that in a Falcon, briar or cob for me. It smokes cool, the amaretto aroma lasts till the very end and it smokes down to ash. It's described as a milder tobacco - I would class it as approaching medium strength. I think it's gorgeous and lush. Next order will be for 10 tins of this one.

If you like Sunset Breeze, you might also like Sweet Killarney. This tobacco gets a lot of bad reviews and many have reported it as a tongue burner with little flavour. Smoke it slow enjoy the aroma, which is not as pervasive as Sunset Breeze and it works just fine. Now I've got my taste for aros back this is genuinely the one I could settle for as an all day smoke ( for a while at least)

Best to all

Gerry

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I've had some absolutely wonderful smokes with many of the Peterson blends, but every once in awhile I have a horrible time, and I just have no idea why.

A good bowl of Sherlock Holmes hits a spot that few tobaccos reach, with a subtle bergamot/lavender hint throughout a burley/Virginia base... yum! And then... next time I light it up it's harsh as burning hay and I can't get it to taste good and I wind up dumping the bowl.

Same thing with Luxury Blend. When it's "on", it's marvellous, but about half the time I can't get it to settle in, and wind up with an ashy taste, or no taste at all, and a frustrating time it is.

So I don't buy these ones as often or at all any more.... I know what they can offer, but I can't make it come out every time. I have much better luck/consistency with McClelland and Mac Baren blends.

4. Badcompany

Badcompany Member

I've had the same experience with Old Dublin, Never understood why, very frustrating.
    Badcompany.

5. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

Now Old Dublin did not work for me. Tried it and it's for me over dominated by latakia and smokes consequently thin; when I put together a Christmas package for the Forum you can rest assured ther'll be a tin of Old Dublin minus one bowlfull!

Best to all

Gerry

6. thomas

thomas Member

I am going to have to buy a tin of Sunset Breeze. The only other Peterson tin I have tried is Sherlock Holmes, which I am smoking as I type and LOVE!

-Thomas

7. adryazad

adryazad Member

this thread is definitely something i needed. i bought sunset breeze when i just started out on the Pipe. Back then i couldn't tell if i was smoking rockwool or tobacco.. so perhaps tonight i shall pull out that tin and give it another go..

8. powell0892

powell0892 Member

I sure would like to get my hands on some Sherlock Holmes I have been hearing nothing but wonderful things about it, just cant decide if I want to wait and get my new Boswell Pipe before I order some....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.