1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Peterson System Pipe Bonanza

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by RTOdhner, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

There are two things that in combination are sure to result in mischief: Me walking through a row of antique shops, and me armed with a debit card when I do so.

I went to eat lunch at a local Tais restaraunt (I had Phad Tai, BTW) and on the way back I walked past an antique/estate shop that has been opened for almost two months. I walk in the joint, looking for mounted wall cabinets that I can use to hold tinned tobacco. Tell the lady what I'm looking for, and she pulls out this hanging pipe rack/cabinet with an image of Sherlock Holmes smoking a calabash pipe etched in the glass - only wants $42 for it, so I'll probably be back for that.

Anyhow, it contains about 10 pipes - two of which I recognize as Peterson System Pipes. One is a System Standard XL307 and the other appears to be a System #309, it also appears to be a second and is simply stamped Irish Bents. The XL307 has a walnut finish, and the Irish Bent has the same finish as the St. Paddy series. I got them both for a total of $54USD. Shee-wing!!!

Both need a good buffing up, and the stems have oxydized to a dark brown. Both bands (sterling on the XL307 and nickle on the Irish Bent) need polishing. But, hot damn, I've finally hit that fabled antique store "deal of the ages" that I always read about here on PSF.

I'll post pictures if I ever get a camera.

2. RTOdhner

Well, I thought the XL307 had a sterling band. What I thought was a hallmark may simply be a series of logos that appears on some Pete nickle bands: Shamrock, Fox, and Tower.

3. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Way2Go, RTO!:th1: Makes me wonder what the other 8 pipes were...:beyes:

RTOdhner and Lithua pipe like this.
  4. RTOdhner

Me too. I had target fixation with the Petes, so I really didn't pay as much attention to the others as I should have. I think I'll just head over there next month and see if she still has the others and check out what they are.

Lithua pipe and Stonewall like this.
  5. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I would, too! If there were Pete's, there might be more hidden gems in that cabinet.

RTOdhner likes this.
  6. RTOdhner

I know that they weren't the usual ratted-out basket-pipes that you tend to find in the antique shops around here. They all had what appeared to be some nice grain and rusticated finishes. I must examine these more closely.

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Pad Thai rocks ... Nice score , btw :th1:

GregL, RTOdhner and Kiowapipe like this.
  8. RTOdhner

It's the only Thai restaraunt in Johnson County, and it's damn good! None of that nasty "tourist" crap they try to pass off on the buffet as oriental cuisine - we're talking real Thai food. Their curry dishes really rock!

Albert likes this.
  9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I've been in Miami off and on for a few months ... scored some killer Thai down there ... best I've had yet . Italian food is my favorite ... then Thai :thu2:

RTOdhner and Albert like this.
  10. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

Score! There's a consignment shop near me that I've been meaning to check out.....

RTOdhner likes this.
  11. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Wow!! that's some score.. I am envious!

RTOdhner likes this.
  12. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

Sweet score but you know the rules. If there's no pics it didnt' happen...:sailor:

BradNTX and RTOdhner like this.
  13. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

That's awesome RTO! I should maybe start going to antique stores...

RTOdhner likes this.
  14. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Pictures!

Forum Running

RTOdhner likes this.
  15. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

Awesome. I need to get my butt to the antique shops.

RTOdhner likes this.
  16. Capt

Capt Active Member

YOU BETTER go back and buy that cabinet! P&C was selling one for 300 bucks!!!

BigJ and RTOdhner like this.
  17. RTOdhner

$300? Damn! I pretty much shot up this month's allotment of disposable money on the Petes. I hope she still has it come May. The wood work is really nicked-up, but the etched glass door is in perfect condition. I don't know if I'd leave it in its current "rusticated" condition, or refisinish it, or paint it. Hell, I'm not even sure where I'd put the damned thing... maybe hang it on the side of my tobacco cabinet.

18. GregL

GregL Member

I'm sorry, could you repeat the precise location of that antique shop? ;)

Nice score!

RTOdhner and Preacher1611 like this.
  19. Siv

Siv Flame+Wood=Bad Idea

Makes me want to go antique shopping!

My wife is usually trying to drag me into antique shops with me trying my hardest to resist. I'm sure she'd be suspicious if I suggest to her that we check some out... she'd probably think I was having an affair!

Arkie and Old Codger like this.
  20. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

I prefer the nickel collars, you don't have to polish them repeatedly. I've made some of my best scores in antique shops, some of them look down on tobbaciana and don't bother to research current pipe values.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.