Peterson System Stem Replacement

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Spaceboy Tim, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

Has anyone ever tried getting their P-Lip system stem replaced for a fishtail stem? I'm just wondering if I can replace the stem if I don't like the P-Lip. I know I can get a system with a fishtail but I'm interested in trying the P-Lip.
  2. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I will be interested in the answer to this, as well.
  3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

All things are possible with spare money and time. I believe Peterson's will gladly take your cash for another stem, although I don't know the particulars. I imagine authorized repairmen would be able too as well. Admittedly,I like me a p-lip, so I've not ever had to consider this.
  4. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I too am very fond of my P-lip but have a friend whose stem no longer fits his Pete due to years of taking it apart while still hot. I don't know if he needs a replacement stem or a repair person to fix the shank. My ignorance is massive to the point of genuinely awesome, in the original sense of the word, before everything became "so awesome".
  5. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

You can, if you're so inclined, modify the p lip yourself. Emory cloth, or most other abrasives will reshape the bit to your liking. If you screw it up, as I did once, you're not out much, just back to needing a new stem, which can be purchased at a few different places.
  6. user0003

user0003 Active Member

Yup Peterson will hook up.....doesn't matter how old either.....Pete will repair any pipe they ever made, including fitments of replacement stems.

This not unique to Peterson....Any of the larger Co.s do this type of repair work.
  7. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

Thanks for the info guys. I guess what it will come down to is how much will it cost to get it to them and have it replaced and shipped back versus just selling/trading the P-Lip and getting a fishtail.
  8. user0003

user0003 Active Member

I think Pete has a service center here in the States.
  9. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

And don't forget, there's any number of repair places that will hook you up with whatever kind of stem you could wish for.
  10. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Several repairmen can make a stem for between $20 and $40.

I think you will find the P-lip at least acceptable. I prefer regular stems, but I have a few P-lips, and it isn't that big a deal.
  11. dbwittkopf

dbwittkopf Member

I altered my p-lip and it came out looking factory stock
  12. Brian Powers

Brian Powers Member

Directly from the Peterson site:
    Replacement Mouthpiece
    Peterson pipe mouthpieces, like those of most other manufacturers are not standard size and are normally hand-fitted. Therefore you will need to return your pipe to us to have a new mouthpiece fitted. The price will be €22.50 that includes postage. Payment by credit card will be requested when the new stem has been fitted. If you wish to avail of this service please send your pipe together with your full postal address to:
    Pipe Repair Department
    Peterson of Dublin
    Peterson House
    Sallynoggin
    Co. Dublin
    IRELAND
    Alternatively, if you are located in the U.S.A. it may be more convenient for you to purchase a stem from Schulte's Pipe Repair Service - details as follows:-
    Schulte's Pipe Repair Service
    678 Old Dixie Highway
    Vero Beach
    FL 32962
    U. S. A.
    Phone: 772 564 0079

(Just an FYI)
    Jesla and dbwittkopf like this.
  13. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

Sounds cool. Do you have some pictures?
    Thanks Brian. I think at 22.50 euro I will just buy a new pipe. I think it's an ok price but I will probably just take it as a reason to buy a new pipe :)
  14. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Doesn't Eric at Cup O' Joe's sell replacement stems for Peterson or is it Smokingpipes.com? I have seem them listed on a vendor's website before but cannot remember where exactly I saw them listed or mentioned but it should not be hard to track down a replacement stem for a Peterson pipe.
  15. Brian Powers

Brian Powers Member

They sell them, when they have them (much like Balkan Sobranie).
  16. dbwittkopf

dbwittkopf Member

Here is said pic
    [​IMG]
    I guess it is a little shaky