1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Peterson Tankard......maybe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by wtagye, Oct 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wtagye

wtagye Member

Thanks for all the great info!

I picked up a Dane Spindle and I really like it. I am going to wait until after going to Habanna's to mail order the Pete. I am finding that Pipes are very similar to tattoos and glasses of whiskey. After the first you just want many more!!

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

You don't know the half of it...

3. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Hi and welcome, have to toss out my two cents here, once you go cob you'll never go back lol. When i got my first cob it was like a mad rush to see how many more i could get that day, i still have and smoke all my briars, but i have to say as of late my cobs do most of the leg work. Once you get comfortable and are looking for another pipe i strongly recommend the MM freehand cob, it was my first cob and still to this day one of my favorite pipes.

4. WillH

WillH Active Member

Yulp! Second that! The Freehand jobs are nice! Don't know you all load them but I don't try and fell the bowl full. I sorta make a wad an gently stuff it down the bore. The wad of tobacco never reaches the bottom and leaves a fair amount of open space below the rim too. Kinda half full. Fire the thing up a settle back.......it just cooks along until there's no more tobacco to burn. Nice indeed!

Almost as good as the Calabash!

Will

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Your description, Will, is the reason my Hackert Freehand is such a killer smoker...a cannonball of flake is foolproof when fired up in it. I guess the mix of cob, chamber shape, and Hackert's 'bulletproofing' make it an ideal weapon of choice in the 'VA' wars. I may be over-reaching (or remembering wrong), but flake smoking was never a hard learning curve for me, probably due to it. I suppose a normal? Freehand would be the same.

-Kyle

6. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Dude if you're going to Habana you better be prepared to spend :money:! YOu're gonna be like a kid in a candy store when you get there and see that operation. Make sure you pick up a few bulk blends to try, like Classic Burley Kake and Anny Kake. I PROMISE you won't regret it. :bling:

7. WillH

WillH Active Member

Very good! Hackert does a fine job on cobs as well and other pipes. Sad to say I only have his cobs. Anyhoo, just thought I'd toss out my loading experience in case someone new to the pipe style was wondering how to load one - not that my way is the only way, tis not...but could serve as perhaps a place to start! :groucho:

Will

8. erickghint

erickghint Member

Will # 2?! Number three by my count, sir...

9. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Will, you guys figure it out?

:roflmao:

10. wtagye

wtagye Member

Now I am trying to patiently await this weekend to but the more I look at pipes the less sure I am about what I want. There are too many very interesting options! :phew: Unfortunately, my wife has reached her saturation point with all things pipe. I feel like I am trying to figure out the meaning of life here!! :D I can't wait to get to see a selection in person. I think that will make a huge difference.

11. wtagye

wtagye Member

I am thinking that i like the Peterson 03 shape and i like the Dalkey finish. I wish that it had the P=Lip, I find it odd that so many of their pipes have fishtails when the p-lip is their specialty. Of course I still am interested in the tankard. Maybe I should just get the Mark Twain set. ;)

12. wtagye

wtagye Member

Decision made. Peterson Le Strand and I am smoking it right now with some adirondak gold from cup o joe. In a word, bliss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.