1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Peterson Tankard Question

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by voodoo101, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voodoo101

voodoo101 Member

Does Peterson offer the Tankard with a fishtail stem? If so who has them in stock?

2. voodoo101

voodoo101 Member

I found a answer. Peterson does offer this pipe with a fishtail but would be about 3 months to get it.

3. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Interesting. I was waiting for an awnser too, as I have only seen p lip versions.

4. voodoo101

voodoo101 Member

I wonder why as retailers have a good selection on everything else.

5. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

I have one with a fishtail and an army mount. I think it is from when they first came out. Excellent flake pipe, would like to get one in dress black

6. voodoo101

voodoo101 Member

Where did you get that pipe?

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

I have two older fishtail barrel Petes - one smooth grain and one rusticated (below); took a couple of years to find some that weren't beat. Small, thin walled and rather fragile, these are lovely flake pipes but not for rookies according to the used ones I've seen. The older army mounts leave the modern version in the dust - but I expect the new ones are also more durable.

[​IMG]

Kaywoodie made a big brother, equally troublesome but lovely. If you go looking for an old Pete, go carefully - there are a lot of bad examples for sale.

[​IMG]

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I've only experienced the current production Tankards and barrels, no military mounteds. Curious as to why you say the older ones leave the modern ones in the dust.

Pete's website says they're available with both stems, fishtail and p-lip. I guess sales are higher for the p-lips...

Ed
    Puff

telltime likes this.
  9. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

That was a personal taste thing on appearance only, Ed - I just have a jones for army mounts, that's all. I meant nothing negative about the smoking qualities of the newer versions.

The army mount tankard and barrel were probably discontinued because of fragility. Many of the older ones I've seen were burned, cracked or had fractured (or replacement) stems. The new version with conventional mortise-tenon is certainly more robust.

Puff The Magic likes this.
  10. voodoo101

voodoo101 Member

I love that Kaywoodie!

11. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

12. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

From a very generous forum member! Excellent flake pipe, not sure if I would like p-lip version because it would be impossible to swab a pipe cleaner through mid smoke for wetter flakes.

13. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Man those are sweet!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.