1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Peterson?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Jack Match, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Match

Jack Match Member

Hello,

I joined the forum mainly to ask about this Peterson pipe bowl I got off ebay. The reason I’m having to ask is because I've no experience with Peterson pipes.
    What I'd like to know is if it's a genuine Peterson, because there are a few things which make me wonder whether or not it is. So my first question is: Is there even such a thing as a fake Peterson?

The main thing that concerns me is that I've had quite a good look round and can't find a Peterson with the kind of finish this one has. It looks like the whole things had a going over with a tiny chisel. Can any one point me in the direction of another example of this type of finish?

Here’s some pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Basically I just need to know if its going to be worth my time and money making this thing usable. It was only a few quid, so it doesn’t matter if it's not!

Also, any info anybody could give me about this pipe would be great.

Thanks.

Daggers62 and Morse like this.
  2. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Yep, that's a Peterson System Standard shape #313. Get a stem and fire it up!

TRAVIS likes this.
  3. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

That looks to me to be the real mccoy. You can date the pipe by the hallmarks on the silver band. I think you can also get replacement stems directly from peterson.
    Ive never seen a fake Peterson pipe (there not rolexes) but that should be a solid smoker. & welcome to the forum

4. Brian Powers

Brian Powers Member

Very nice acquisition! SS's don't have silver, so they aren't hallmarked. The "Republic of Ireland" was founded in 1949, since then most Petersons are marked that way, so it's probably not particularly old, but it's certainly worth fixing up! Can't say I've seen that particular finish, I typically only deal with smooth myself. For 22.50 Euro they will fit a new stem on it for you and send it back to you.

5. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

Sorry Jack, Brian is right. Upon further investigation those marks on the band are not hallmarks but another Peterson logo. sorry about the misinformation. I found a site called "The Peterson Pipe project" check it out might be some help to you.

6. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Pete rustications has changed considerably through the years, so don't worry about that.

7. Jack Match

Jack Match Member

Thanks for the quick replies everybody.

Andy- Thanks for the info, I've sent it off for a proper stem fitting.
    Gunsmoke- No problem, I thought they were hallmarks at first glance too, sneaky Irish trick making logos looking like hallmarks!
    I found the The Peterson Pipe project before, found out from there that the pipe was made some time after 1949, which is vague of them but still good to know. Thanks.
    Brian- Thanks! Its good to know Peterson will do that, but so does the online tobacconist I’ve been using recently- for half the price and, I imagine, half the shipping time. Going to try out the P.lip mouthpiece, might as well go 'full Peterson'.
    Jpberg- Thats good to know, thanks. I've had another good look round and still can't find a finish quite like it, so maybe its an older rustication style. I was beginning to think the previous owner did it him self with a chisel.

Thanks again everyone.

8. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I had an early Captain Pete with a (somewhat) similiar finish, I really could tell if it was a blast or rustication.

9. MakDragon

MakDragon Well-Known Member

Nice pick up!!! I love my Pete's

10. willie g

willie g Member

its hard to beat a pete--terrific value for the money.

11. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

are there fake petersons out there for real ?

12. Daggers62

Daggers62 Member

I have to disagree about the hallmark. It is a silver hallmark and can be dated by using Petersons hallmarking found here: http://www.peterson.ie/pipes/hallmarking.html#

Click on the main picture to see the hallmarks. A number of Peterson pipes that are not silver banded today were silver banded in the past. I have a Rocky Donegal that has a silver band from 30 years ago but they are nickel banded these days.

Replacement stems can be bought from a very reliable UK online store .. no affiliation to them but have used them and can recommend them.

Hope that helps :)

13. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

No, Gunsmoke confused 'there' with they're. ("There not Rolexes" should read They're not Rolexes) Finally, an opportunity to say 'there', 'their', and 'they're' are not interchangeable words. Each one has a different meaning. Sorry, pet peeve. In the simplest terms possible, there is a place, their is a pronoun, they're is a contraction of they are.

This ain't personal to gunsmoke. It's a pet peeve, a neurotic obsession that extends to using 'to' and 'too' as interchangeable words. When you got more than you need you have TOO much, not to much.

To some people's minds, I am way too obsessed with these things. But they're not around when their miss wordings drive me into that wall over there. :)

TRAVIS likes this.
  14. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

It looks unlikely to be silver, as those are not silver hallmarks. They are the standard Peterson stamps of shamrock, fox, and tower. There's no Eire, fineness, or date letter stamps like one would see on silver.

15. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I can dig it. My favorite is all the ways people try to spell "palate." :)

16. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

Sorry about the misspellings guys. Spelling has never been my strong suit. I was good in math however. I fig-er bad spelling has always held me back. I probably could have been a nuclear physicist instead of a construction worker if I could only spell. It's the curse of spell checker:doh:

17. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I failed algebra twice, and didn't get a handle on it until I was in my mid-twenties. So we're even. :)
    It must be something in the wiring-- I've known Ph.D.'s who couldn't spell their way out of a wet paper bag, so it's not education level or the amount of reading done. I think we all know what you're saying, and that's what counts.

18. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Hell, I need a spell checker for everything but my own name. Seriously. Usually I can spell my name.

I'm not putting anyone down. I just took the opportunity to mention something that has become such common practice, it appears that people do not recognize the correct words anymore. Your and you're being another example of words that are used interchangeably. Any living language changes with usage but these errors, when they become common place, actually degrade the language.

I'm a writer but having no formal education. My grammar and punctuation are really bad. That keeps food on the table at my editor's house.

Grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. do not indicate a person's intelligence or the value of what they are saying.
    OK, so I'm a bit obsessive.:bag:

19. Daggers62

Daggers62 Member

After looking again, you may be right.

My Donegal has the peterson marks but they are so faded it is difficult to see them properly.. it does have the silver hallmark though

20. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Peterson are a little coy about this, but yes, the shamrock fox and tower are sort of pseudo-hallmarks - you can stamp whatever the hell you like on a piece of metal, and that doesn't make it an "official" hallmark. So Peterson stamps their nickel bands with a sort of "branding" set of marks that are meaningless as regards year or metal quality. Their silver-adorned pipes DO have hallmarks proper, which is what that site you (Daggers) first indicated is helpful for.

I haven't seen a Pete rusticated like this - it looks like Savinelli's "Brownblast" finish. But I think there's very little reason to suspect that this pipe is anything other than a peterson. The work that would go into making a fake would never pay off (as it would in the case of a Dunhill, say). Spending 5 hours faking a 70 dollar pipe is pretty dumb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.