1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Petersons and 'breaking -in'

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Old Ted, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Hopefully - as per my other thread, a new Pete system pipe will soon be on the way as my birthday present. Just curious - I only have one Pete right now (Donegal Rocky 'dog), and as I remember, it was a good smoke at the start - as new pipes go, but I hear a few tales of foul tasting Petes - due to excess stain and/or varnish down the bowl bore. So is this generally an issue with a Pete? - or just another of those things that get blown out of proportion?
    Cheers OT

2. nitehawk

nitehawk Active Member

Hey Ted....I own 3 Peterson's, a rustic barrel, and 2 Aran999's, and this is the first time I've ever heard of any such thing. All 3 are just like yours....good smokers. In fact, I can hardly put the 999's down, because they smoke so good (I'm thinking about possibly getting a third 999).

3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Dave, I'm tamin' some Petes atm and they-re all breakin' in nicely. No fowl taste except for that brand new Tankard I so unwisely smoked Condor LC in it last eve. That's a ghost I'll just have to see what it takes to shooo it away. It's good smoke but a pipe needs to be dedicated to this (or like) blends. Dev was too chicken to give the bird a go. ;)

Petes being courted:

Tankard rustic
    2010 Christmas (68)
    Sherlock Hudson

Already smokin' real well are a Belgique rustic and a Killarney (red, 264, this one just or finally started behavin'!) :)

Only problem noticed at all was the newbs do cry a bit. Just be ready to mop it up if you sense it.

The only Pete that was awful tastin' during break-in was the colored meers (red,green,blk, & brwn) and it tasted horid so I scraped the inner coating (carbon) and then a thin layer of meer (stained red if ya can balieve it!) And she smokes like a fine meer now.

Congratz on that Special Pete! She's sweet!

Ed
    Puff

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Others will chime in, I'm sure...apparently dip stain in a Pete bowl is horrendous. My Pete Bulldog, however, showed no foulness at all breaking in. Is it a case by case thing??? I have no clue. Now my Kaywoodie 01, OTOH.... yech!!!

That Pete of yours is so pretty, I wouldn't care. Heck, if it shows signs of yichyness, just sand it down a smidge.

Enjoy!

5. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

I've got a pair of Pete's and had no funky taste. I thought with the red stain of the Killarney there would be some funk, but it was all good

6. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

No problem with my Pete Donegal #106 or Aran #XL02. I also have a Sherlock Holmes Original I bought in 1989, and I don't recall a problem with that either. I think you'll be fine, so enjoy your Pete!

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Breaking in my smooth 303 was gross - red stain in the bowl. The rustic Petes have a coating that helps to not taste awful. Either way.... they burn in after a couple smokes. Part of their charm, I suppose....

8. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Happy birthday Ted! :bday:

Here's to many years smoking your new pipe as well! :toast:

9. WillH

WillH Active Member

Happy B-day ya ole' fart! :p Hope you have many more.

Let's see ..... a Peterson.....Well, as you've been told they put as much stain inside the bowl as they do out side and that's no lie! How much trouble could it be to stick a damn cork in the bow and shank and then have at it! Obviously Peterson thinks most smokers have burned out their taste buds so what the heck! Ted, it tastes like crap! I get some cotton balls soak them in OH (alcohol) and swab the stuff out. I also sand the inside of the bowl a little.
    [​IMG]
    I bought an 11s awhile back and that's what I did to it - it was passable. Taste didn't last too long..... Course I'm a whimp, real men just fire them up and charge ahead. Whatever.....

Enjoy!:)

Will

10. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I think I've heard of others doing as Will does and swabbing out the bowl with a bit of alcohol. Obviously have to be careful not to drip any on the outside of the pipe. Never done it but it seems like a bunch of Q-tips and some patience would do the trick.

11. WillH

WillH Active Member

Takes too long and it's fiddley. I just soak the cottonballs in OH and stuff them in the bowl. I've got a pair of large tweezers that I use to retrieve them little balls. Just sorta twist and scrub as take them out. And yes nanny I promise not to get any OH on the outside of the bowl.. :). Use Q-tips on the inside of the shank....

Will

12. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Yeah, I bet that works a lot faster. I wonder if rubbing some vaseline around the rim would help protect it during the process? Just thinking out loud... I'm not the most dextrous fellow and I'm sure if I tried it I'd end up with a big dull spot on my beautiful new Pete.

13. WillH

WillH Active Member

I dunno....probably! Better yet, if a few people would let Peterson know it's not acceptable they might stop the lazy practice. Course Peterson will say it's orgainic a won't harm you. What they won't tell is that they run the organic stuff through various livestock before using it as pipe finish!:p

Will

14. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

:xd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.