Peterson's Irish Flake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by woody, Oct 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woody

woody Admin Admin

Tried some Irish Flake for the first time today and I suspect it is flavored with tonquin. Am I right or wrong?

2. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I didn't find any in my tin...not a big fan of tonquin, so if it's there, there ain't much.

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I .... dunno. I didn't detect tonquin. But it smokes like Keen's mustard for me, so wasn't at my tonquin-detecting best, perhaps...

4. woody

woody Admin Admin

I can't swear to it. Must be my weird taste buds.

5. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

I don't remember any thing vanilla-like when I smoked it last. Tasted like chuck-steak and rasins to me.

6. WillH

WillH Active Member

Guess that's what makes pipes and pipe tobaccos interesting! Everyone has different likes and taste!

IR is one of the finest tobaccos on the market IMO. But that's my taste! There is nothing in IR but tobacco - no flavorings and no toppings. My swears it smells like chocolate?

Wil

7. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

sometimes the fresher tins have a sort of bitter chocolate taste that reminds me a bit of 1792 but its not the tonquin. I get the same flavor from the GH brown rope, which doesnt have any in it either. i strongly suspect its the kentucky.

8. woody

woody Admin Admin

I'm starting to think it was a ghost reminding me of 1792. I'll try again tomorrow.

9. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

To me it has kinda a Higlands type flavor to it, whatever it is is is a wonderful tobacco. I am smoking some right now in fact that is 3 years aged and boy is it good aged.

10. WillH

WillH Active Member

You guys are hurting my feelings! Had to cut back on nicotine so I sold my Irish Flake. Only kept one tin! Bummer it sure is good stuff!

Will

11. woody

woody Admin Admin

I smoked some in a falcon a little while ago and the taste that reminded me of tonquin was far less perceivable so it may have been ghosts or more than likely my weird taste buds.

12. Burner

Burner Member

It definitely has a floral condor'esque hint to it before that powerful tobacco obliterates everything usually including me!

13. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I still tend to wonder if it's the 'Kentucky' weed in IF that makes me say 'yum' or the fire cured process used. Haven't explored this much, but I really, really enjoy SG's Black Rope...not a Kentucky, I believe, but it's fired cured as well...and I can see similarities between these two.

14. woody

woody Admin Admin

Sorry to hear you had to cut down on a favorite. Right now 1 bowl a day is about all I can handle.

15. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

yeah, i never really realized how strong this stuff is. i kinda consider it my baseline, i smoke it almost all day every day. while i love english tobacs they tend to be too weak to satisfy my cravings. it wasn't til i gave a bit to a friend and he nearly puked after half a bowl that i realized it was that serious.

16. morleysson

morleysson Member

Stout smoke but i never detected tonquin. I enjoy IF and G-H unscented dark flake about the same. I suspect that the earlier posters detected the fire-cured leaf used as the source of the taste. Try the IF in a relatively clean cob, and the unaltered tastes come through.

17. Traderbob

Traderbob Member

I don't know whats in it - but I Like It!. Very similar to Bracken Flake except it breaks apart better and has a little more of a "peppery" taste to me.

18. Philthy

Philthy Member

Love me some Irish Flake. Lucked into a few extra tins on top of the ones I had cellared. Been looking for a bulk that tastes like it. You may not agree but Dark Birdseye is similar to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.