Petersons old dublin

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by NHpipesmoker, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NHpipesmoker

NHpipesmoker Member

Was wondering how many of you smoked it and liked it. I got a tin of pod and sunset breeze well I love the od and didn't care for the psb. I am only 2 months new to pipe smoking but so far the English blends to me have a much better taste than aros. Can anyone advise another good English to try? I think the latakias what in tasting and love it. I just ordered from Sterling tobacco there blends that are Like pod and sg sqaudrin leader which I have never tried. Open to try some new blends. Thanks for reading.

2. Waino

Waino Active Member

I like latakia. Old Dublin is nice, not the best, but good. Best Pete tobacco to me, anyway. There are several others in same category: Rattrays Red Rapparee, Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian and SG Balkan Flake. Squadron Leader is too mild to me. SG Perfection is better.

I had an opportunity to taste Margate and G. L. Pease Lagonda, thanks to JP. Lagonda is really honest choice.

Then there is a superstar level. There are couple heavenly latakias. One is Poul Hansen My Own Blend Haddock but Danish Pipe Shop sells it only if you buy 20 oz or more. The other one is Ten Russians I was proud to try. I closed my eyes and found smokers Paradise.

Aros... Sometimes I smoke them at daytime and in "social situations". I like W. O Larsen Editions 2011, 2012 and Old Fashioned. And I have always a pouch of Vanilla Cream in my pocket. One bowl is ok, occasionally.

psquared, Johnny Dingo and Mington like this.
  3. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

On my 2nd or third tin of Old Dublin. Quite enjoy it. Not an all day smoke but usually late afternoons.
    Sunset Breeze is not at the top of my list but still pleasant and a go to when in mixed company. Seems to work best in a small bowl, smoked very gently, but kept warm.

psquared likes this.
  4. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Old Dublin was my first latakia mixture, and since then, i've adopted the motto "a day without latakia is a day wasted" ;)

Try Fox Squire's Mixture, and Davidoff Royalty. You may like them too!

Sasquatch, BigJ and Mington like this.
  5. GregL

GregL Member

I rather like OD, too. I tried it as a relative noob and found it pleasant but about as strong as I care to go on that end of the spectrum.

6. Albert

Albert Active Member

OD is good stuff, its my favorite Peterson that's not a flake.

Mington likes this.
  7. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

I have a few dozen tins of the old Old Dublin that contained basma and pop one open every now and then. I really like it.

Kiowapipe likes this.
  8. Albert

Albert Active Member

so the New Old Dublin is not as good as the Old Old Dublin? maybe we can get them to come out with a New Old Old Dublin to get closer to the Old Old Dublin than the New Old Dublin.

9. John Long

John Long Member

I have a tin of Old Dublin. A great Balkan. Comparable to Bill Bailey's Balkan blend.

10. NHpipesmoker

NHpipesmoker Member

I got my order in of tobacco today from Sterling tobacco 2 English blends equivalent to pod and Sg squadron leader. I'm a happy guy. I will definitely try other English blends for sure.

11. Piperatthegates

Piperatthegates Member

Old Dublin is a regular for me and I love it. Maybe you should try SG Skiff if you like the OD. C&D's Cordial is a good alternative bulk blend and represents excellent value for money.

12. DunhillMan

DunhillMan Member

I like Old Dublin, it's a pretty decent balkan. Ten tins of this baccy are stuffed in my cellar right now. Anyway the more balkans I try the stronger is my opinion that Old Dublin is not on the top of the balkan's ranking, or even english blends. It's a good one but not a top one. Maybe it's a Peterson's top one, close to Peterson Perfect Plug, University Flake and Irish Flake.

Kiowapipe likes this.
  13. PickingLeaves

PickingLeaves Member

So what would you suggest as a good Latakia blend? I have a tin of Old Dublin that I have tried and my initial response to Latakias isn't that good. I know that many say Old Dublin is a beginners Latakia but what would be a more advanced Latakia and what can I expect from it. While I don't think Old Dublin is bad in any way it just doesn't have that extra I want from tobaccos. Perhaps it is the pipe and I will smoke the whole tin before I give my final judgement but the initial thoughts on Old Dublin doesn't speak that well for it.

14. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Old dublin was my first english blend. Havent had some in a while but i remember it as a cool smoke because of the basma

15. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I want to try some Old Dublin one of these days. I put it of the TAD list for the next time I re-up. I keep Sunset Breeze around for when my cousin comes by to smoke a pipe. I don't think the stuff's too bad or anything, but I tend towards the stronger tasting blends.

My three favorite lat blends are Ten Russians, Stimulus Package and Nightcap. Dunhill 965 is good, too.

16. Pipe Dwarf

Pipe Dwarf New Member

I rate this as a pretty good blend though I find it a wee bit heavy on the Latakia and Nicotine for me. It smokes well though tends to be a bit on the moist side. I prefer Old Gowrie or Red Repparee for this sort of smoke. Best in Peterson's range for me Sweet Kilarney or the University Flake.

17. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

I'm a heavy Lat fan but couldn't stomach Old Dublin. The tin smell was awful and smoking it made me nauseous. I jarred it for a year, gave it another shot with the same results. I gifted it to a friend who is a fan and can't figure out why I don't care for this blend, given my other favorites (MM965, etc.)

18. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

Stopped by the local B&M last night and saw they had added Old Dublin to their stock. Popped the tin open as soon as I got home. Really enjoyed it. Had a pipe of it to start my smoking today and it really hit the spot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.