1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Petersons Old Dublin

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Grim_Puffer, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grim_Puffer

Grim_Puffer Member

Now ive tried 3 blends from peterson trying to marry a Peterson pipe to a good blend but it hasnt happen nor do I think it ever will after this.

I read good feedback on Old Dublin and some how out of my love for latakia never tried this blend until now.

I was equally excited to try it in my new Peterson system pipe which arrived so when I got home I opened them both up, hate trying to open those tins, and packed abowl 1/2 full and started this puppy up

Initially it was all warm to hot smoke with no flavor similar to my experience with Irish Oak.

So I gave it awhile.

After the first bowl I chalked it up to being a new pipe, dunno why, and then waited an hour or so and repacked another 1/2 bowl.

Same experience that ive had with all petersons tobaccos...... NO FLAVOR

Its as if im smoking paper mixed with a few strands of latakia.

What little enjoyment I did get was short lived and the bowl was very uneventful.

Its a very subdued flavor profile that wants to come through yet it just lingers in the background. ITS LIKE CHASING THAT DRAGON... YOULL NEVER GET IT LOL

So i have nothing further to add to this experience except im done with Peterson Blends because im one of those who keeps asking others how they are tasting anything at all in their tobaccos.

Cheers

2. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Sounds to me like you haven't quite developed your 'Pipe Tongue' yet (the palette that develops over time to unfurl the mysteries of pipe baccy).

Old Dublin is not a knock-em-dead medium Latakia blend like McClelland 3 Oaks, but it is still reasonably complex and enjoyable.

Tell you what... don't throw it away just yet. Wait until the day you start saying to yourself: 'Wow... this blend tastes better than usual today' and revisit it. Also, learn to snork.

3. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

and also, try drying out the old dublin till it's almost (but not quite) crisp!

4. Tsurugi

Tsurugi Member

I could not have a more different experience than you, I just recieved my first system pipe and a tin of Old Dublin yesterday and I was blown away, I absolutely loved it.

5. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

Hello,

I enjoy Old Dublin and it is in my regular rotation. I would agree it won't blow you away, but it is a nice everyday smoke. I think if you give it a chance it will grown on you. At least IMO.

Z

6. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

I may have been a bit rash before, blaming your palette and the like. We all have different tastes.

I cannot abide flavoured (aromatic) tobacco, and very much enjoy exploring and uncovering a blend's secrets. I do remember loving much stronger tasting pipe tobacco before I started seeing where the joy was in a milder blend.

Smoke what you like and like what you smoke.

7. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

All peterson tobies are blended by kohlhaase and whathaveyou. They use somewhat lesser quality leaf than most and sure, they are a step up from "Tobacco leftovers from the floor"-a' la Borkum Riff, but not one of them has caught my interest.

More like a Regular European Toby that is tangy on one end and flavourless on the other end.

Now I haven't tried Old Dublin so I am making a broad sweeping accusation here based upon my previous experiences, information from Peterson themselves and word-of-mouth / reviews online.

There are more colorful fish in the ocean and if you didn't like this one you go for the next... (by some unknown reason I got a picture of Homer Simpson living under the sea, singing like the little mermaid and eating ALL sea creatures large and small whilst he sings...)

Move on... There's nothing to see here! :cheers:

8. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

9. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Hi. I prefer the screw on covers on tins because their seal is good enough to keep the contents fresh for several months. Don't throw your tin of Old Dublin away. Screw the cover back on it and try it again in a couple of months.
    I learned my lesson with Margate. I tried it a couple of years ago and found it tasteless and totally unremarkable. I put it in a jar and forgot it. One year later I tried it again and with that one smoke fell in love with it. Margate is now my absolute favorite.
    My smoking experiences got so much better when I finally learned how to smoke my pipes. Sounds so simple but there are so many little things that have to be done correctly. It took me a couple of years to learn techniques proper enough for pipe smoking proficiency.
    Could be Old Dublin is not for you. I have an open tin of a much raved about mixture. I still don't get it. I screwed the cover back on it. I'll try it again in a couple of months.
    Take your time with this. Your in discovery mode. Don't rush this process and don't get discouraged.
    Be well.

10. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

you been exhaling the smoke through your nose or mouth?

11. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

It's truly said that "one man's meat is another's poison" - the same thing really doesn't suit everybody.

Reviewers do their best but as with everyone else they have their own perceptions,likes and dislikes and of course describing a taste to someone who has never tired it is very difficult to impossible sometimes. Try and describe the taste of a cup of tea or cofee and you'll see what I mean.

Tastes do strike people different ways - I came to Old Dublin after discovering and loving Sherlock Holmes, Sunset Breeze and Sweet Killarney and the stuff stopped me in my tracks. There was simply too much of a big latakia taste to it that I knocked the bowl out half way through and gave the rest of the tin away.

Of all the Peterson tobaccos Old Dublin does come in a different type of tin from the others - it is not easy to open. After failing with various coins I resotrd to a screwdriver and a hammer.

Better luck with the next experiment,

Gerry

12. Grim_Puffer

Grim_Puffer Member

I can assure you its not my untrained pallete.

Ive been a pipe smoker long before I found the forums, just not a "proper" one. ( was doind a lot of things wrong )

Now when I started using swedish snus it had no flavor but in time I noticed the little things and it became enjoyable. But with Petersons its really the only brand ive had I havent liked.

Maybe I was a bit harsh and maybe a little over the top but I need rich deep flavor and this is mild compared to anything else I smoke and its very one deminsional.

I will save it and revisit it but this will be another that prob goes to a friend for free

13. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Yes Grim - one for the "Failure Box" - it happens to everybody at some stage; I've just passed on a load of tobacco I loved last year to a friend too - made the mistake of smoking plain undoctored virginia for a prolonged period this year and just cannot get my taste buds round anything with latakia in it these days though I used to love it.

Better luck with the next experiment!

Best meantime

Gerry

14. Burner

Burner Member

I find that the Plip on my system pipe doesn't do anything for the taste. I feels all wrong like I'm not getting all the flavour so I'm replacing it with a fishtail type soon.

15. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

Just tested Peterson Irish Oak and it's an utterly forgettable tobacco.

Sure, I can taste the wood:y remains from the oak barrel storage, but there's nothing else in there.

Take away the wood taste and the spice tobacco and all you have is an empty flavor of my favorite pet hate: Cigarettes! :thumbsd:

The oak flavor and the spice tobacco need something to back them up, but in Irish Oak there is Nothing At All...

16. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

I have found that a big Peterson System pipe cools the smoke and zaps out some of the flavor in some tobaccos. I reserve my Petersons for aromatics nowadays and smoke the naturals out of a straight pipe of "normal" length. I have a couple of Butz Choquins that do the Va/Pers and Latakia blends nicely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.