1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Peterson's P Lip

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Slow Tri, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

Does anyone have any comments on these? I have had many, many Peterson pipes but they have always been the fishtail stem. I have an opportunity to buy one of my favorite shapes but they only have it in the P Lip and I wanted to get some feedback before I decide.

Should I buy it or should I run away?

Thanks

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Never a deal breaker for me...I love them I even put them on my cobs.....

3. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

I have a System 307 with one and smokes great.

4. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

My Donegal has the P-Lip, and I like it. Very comfortable in the mouth. It's kinda weird feeling the smoke hit the upper pallet at first, but ya get used to it. If ya draw hard, it could make your upper pallet kinda tender, but that is the trade off. My tounge is more sensitive than my pallet so it's a good trade off for me. It is easier on the tounge.

5. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

I have one on my killarney. Wish all my other pipes had one.

6. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

I just got my first one a few weeks back and it threw me off a little when I started smoking it. Now it doesn't bother me at all. I kinda like it to tell ya the truth.

7. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I don't own a Pete, but I've got a Sav Dry System with a similar bit, and after the first couple of smokes, I hardly noticed the difference. One of my favorite pipes, in fact.

I stopped by my B&M today, and they just got in a dozen or so lower-end Petes with fishtails. The owner says he doesn't even order the P-Lips anymore because he can't sell them. My personal feeling is that they don't ruin a pipe by any means, but I don't think they do that much to improve the experience.

8. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I love my Petersons! I have a mixture of the P-lips and the fishtails. As time goes by, I rather the fishtail. Cant really explain why, just do.

9. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

The closest I have come to a Peterson P-Lip is a Dr. Grabow Omega pipe which has a stem similar to a Peterson P-lip and it clenched okay for a bent pipe but I would not even imagine this is in the same league as a Peterson P-Lip.

10. Squatch347

Squatch347 Member

I love my P-Lip, I got it as a hand me down from my dad and didn't know any better. I love that it allows you to customize a bit more where the smoke hits your mouth.

Jesla likes this.
  11. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

To add to my contribution. I don't mind either, there are pros and cons to each. But, For comfort, I do like the Pete Lip. But, if I am smoking a harsher tobacco, the roof of my mouth gets a little uncomfortingly tender. But, then again, with that same tobacco without the Plip, my tounge will get tender then, so I guess just another wash/tradeoff.

12. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

It's a practical matter for me, I have hockey teeth, and use softees on all my pipes. P-lips and softees, or shrink tube for that matter, don't mix.

13. illiteratti

illiteratti Member

The only issue for me is that they can be a little finicky about where you bite on them, meaning sometimes when I'm hanging a pipe in my mouth, it can go at such an angle that the hole in the P-lip is pressed right up against the roof of my mouth, making it hard if not impossible to draw. A couple of smokes is all it takes to get used to the P-lip, then I found that I really prefer the P-lip.

14. user0003

All I can say is...don't poke it 'til you try it......spice of life and all........

15. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Some like it, some don't, a few hate it but not many. Personally I like it. I say give it a shot.
    Oh- and the Omega P-lip is indeed a far cry from Pete's. It's turrible. I still love my Omega, but the pseudo-P is awful.

16. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Again, I don't have the P-Lip proper, but I put a softee on my Dry System. I just push it up past the lip, where I bite anyway. Ugly, but functional.

17. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

I have Petes with both, I prefer a fish tail. I think I get more flavor with it. The p-lip is nice when my tongue is sore however. I do appreciate them then.

18. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I am very fond of the P-lip on my one Pete, a bent billiard. It is my favourite 'walking pipe'.

19. flipflops

flipflops Member

I have one Peterson with a P-Lip but it is sadly the least smoked of all my pipes. I just can't get into it and at this point in my pipe smoking journey would much rather use a fishtail.

20. user0003

You should do absolutely smoke what works best for you............:th1:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.