peterson's p-lip

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by BigJ, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

Am I missing something here? Just bought a new peterson killarney and it has their p-lip. Its kind of aquward to smoke from. Am I doing something wrong or is it just something to get used to?

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

It draws the smoke up in your mouth instead of straight in . You'll get used to it more than likely . Freaked me out the first time I smoked one but they're cool . I've got a bent Emerald rustic w/ the P lip and love it dearly :)

3. len smetona

len smetona Member

My first pipe was a B5 Aran p-lip. Not knowing nothing, I thought it made sense.

Now I think it makes great sense, the Peterson system works well also as a anti gurgle measure.

I don't mind straight thrus, but I do think the p-lip is easier on the mouth. Just get some thin pipe cleaners and your good to go.

Cheers,
    Len S

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Ahhh the P-lip! Some guys love it, some hate it.

I will say that cut well and carefully, a P-lip is terrific, but you have to pay about 200 bucks to get one like that. For some reason the current Peterson stemwork on the lower end pipes is atrocious, and both the fishtails and p-lips are fat pieces of crap in my opinion.

So. To sum up: Good P-lip good, bad p-lip bad (very much like any stem).

5. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

The P-Lip is Ireland's revenge on the world for the widespread mistreatment of its people. Guinness Stout makes up for it, though.

6. badbusinessman

badbusinessman ☺️

I didn't know there were good P-Lips. Are those only on the expensive pipes, or is it a crap shoot even with those? I have two Peterson P-Lips and the draw on both are terrible.

7. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Hear hear! I have a couple of over-$100 fishtail system pipes, and I'm thinkin' about fixin' to get ready to take a file to the buttons on them. They're oversized and sharp-edged, and most unpleasant.

8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I don't know the exact details, or exactly which models have what. But I had a couple "System Standards" and they had crappy uncomfortable stems that turned brown as soon as I took the pipes out of the box. I have a 300 dollar 140th Anniversary pipe, and the stem is a P-lip, and it's super, super comfortable and smokes like a dream. Stayed black too, which tells me it's ebonite rather than a cheap injected vulcanite stem.

Falconeer noticed the same thing on a DeLuxe Peterson he got near Christmastime - much nicer stem than the run-of-the-mill Pete.

I used the $200.00 guideline not quite accidentally - it could certainly be that there are "high end" petes around for less, but I'm thinking that if you hit the Royal Iriah, Sherlock Holmes, DeLuxe, Spigot, and year pipes (and other special editions) you get a HELLA pipe, and if you buy just a regular "off the rack" Peterson - Aran, Killarney, Rock of Cashel etc, you get a pipe.

Another way to say this is that I think Peterson offers okay value all the way along their product line. Their cheapest pipes are all right, their mid grade pipes are all right (for the dollar) and their high-grade pipes by and large are just as all right for the dollar. And when I spend $250.00 on a pipe my expectations are super, super high. Because that buys a Cavicchi, a Ser Jacopo, some hand made North American pipes.... 250 should buy a ****ing sweet pipe.

9. Cobra

Cobra Member

I couldn't agree more and that's why I asked for a p-lip on the last pipe you made me. Best p-lip I own. :kicking:

10. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I like the p-lips(if we're keeping score), and I think their functional reason for existance makes some sense. That said, I agree with Sas. My new Killarney bulldog has a mouthpiece wider than the ruddy bowl, but my (old)system 314 has a wonderfully thin, comfortable button. I'm lucky in that I'm not too picky on this point, cuz I can see why the bulldog's stem would piss off most guys.

11. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

WTF Cobra - I told you to keep that a secret.

For the record, I do not know how to carve a P-lip. It can't be done. And certainly if I did one it wouldn't be a copy of a comfortable one. So there.

Glad that's settled.

:eek:hyeah:

12. Cobra

Cobra Member

Oops.:sofa: :whistle:

13. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

I wonder if Perterson's quality has slipped? My System Standard P-Lip is super comfortable, and has remained black after constant usage. It is 5 years old.

14. sarge564

sarge564 Member

I got one a couple weeks ago. Threw me off too! I'm getting used to it but, for me, it is a "sit and smoke" not a working smoke. Still worth it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.