petrified tobacco find

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by gunslinger84, Oct 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

I wanted to share a discover I made the other day. My grandfather recently past last week and the family was out St his house cleaning. Sorting through everything if his I found old rolling papers, rolling machines, two very old empty tins of PA and SWR, and a cloth draw string bag of tobacco that has never had the paper seal broken, it was hard as a rock. Once I get it back from my mother I will share some pictures if my finds. I never knew of my grandfather smoking habits, my mother told me it was before my time so everything if over 30 years old.

My grandfather was 90 when he past, he would have been 91 come the 26th this month, he lived a full life.

Sorry if this was posted in the wrong forum, just wanted to share.

Gunslinger,

craig, Old Codger, Rewster66 and 3 others like this.
  2. Calvinandpipe

Calvinandpipe Active Member

What make of tobacco was this that came in a cloth bag with a paper seal?

3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing, this is a cool story. I can't wait for the pics & more detail.

4. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Sorry to hear about your Grandfathers passing. It will be cool to remember him by having his old smoking supplies.

Old Codger likes this.
  5. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

Today my mom brought me the box the tins and pouch was in. So I can now post some pictures.

First is the pouch of Durham smoking tobacco, it's a cloth pouch that still has the paper tape seals, it also has a pad of rolling papers wrapped with it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next I got 1.5oz empty tins of PA and SWR, wish the SWR tin would clean up better, but didn't want to risk removing the image.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gunslinger,

6. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

I hate errors that lie. Said it didn't post, and then I wind up double posting.

Gunslinger,

7. krusty

krusty Active Member

Wonder when the muslin pouches stopped being used. Small town stores had em' when I was a kid, my grandad bought em' on occasion when he couldn't afford (read - my cousin and I stole too many of) his Camel straights.

Old Codger and TedVig like this.
  8. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

I remember those in the eighties.

9. krusty

krusty Active Member

Really!

10. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

My mom mentioned that my grandfather smoked before I was born. I asked because I never knew of him smoking. I be 28 in little over a week. Also noticed that the price written on the label, 43 cents.

Gunslinger,

11. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing and I'm sorry for your loss. There will probably be other interesting things that you'll learn about him.

12. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

Thanks everyone, I miss my grandfather very much, although I didn't went to see him as much I probably should have. He upset me few years ago when he signed everything over to my uncle, leaving nothing to my mom. Now that my grandfather pasted my uncle has been selling everything off. Not even giving my mother a chance to say she wanted to keep anything that actually meant something to her. Pictures, records, things that didn't have any financial value was going to be just thrown away.

Gunslinger,

13. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I am sorry for the pain in loosing him, and the pain of going through this. I have had the misfortune of taking care of an uncleĊ› estate while he was still alive, but couldnt figure out who any of his family was. There is something to be said of having lived a good life and having died a good death. Let him live on in your memories, and dont let go of the things that remind you of him. Thank you for sharing, and have a good birthday!

gunslinger84, Pecci and Old Codger like this.
  14. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

What Raffxr7 said.

God Bless!

gunslinger84 likes this.
  15. craig

craig Active Member

Sorry to hear of your grand fathers passing, these are really cool what you have found, i would keep them even for the historical and personal meaning of them, i collect the tobacco packets and tins when i have smoked the tobacco as well. The petrified tobacco i bet it would be an amazing smoke seen as though it has 30 plus years of age.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.