1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

PG sensitivity?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by TedVig, Dec 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

Anyone here ever have an issue with PG sensitivity? I have had bite issues with many tobaccos and airing until bone dry can help a lot. I recently found two tobaccos that work amazingly well for me. Positively zero bite. I mean zero. I also did the vaping thing a while back and suspected I was allergic or at least sensitive to PG. My throat would become inflamed. Just curious if anyone else has had this issue and might have suggestions. Thanks so much in advance.

2. jgstudios

jgstudios Member

Man I hate getting bit! What are the two tobaccos that do not bite you? Also what's PG? I checked the pipe abbreviations site
    http://pipesmokersforum.com/community/pages/abbreviations/
    but didn't see that one. Most tobaccos will bite me if I am too agressive with the puffing, but I have found that Frog Morton's On The Town is not only bite friendly but also tastes and smells great. I've placed my order for the other 3 FM blends. I'm very interesting in finding other tobaccos like FM. The MacBaren's can really sting if not carefully puffed, most of those have been hard for me except for 7 Seas Royal Blend. That one's nice and smooth.

3. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

It bites the sh!+ out of me......

4. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Propylene glycol. It's a moisturizing/sweetening agent used in baked goods, mostly. It's what makes the "smoke" in an electronic cigarette, and is used in some tobaccos to retain moisture.

5. voodoo101

voodoo101 Member

I fixed the problems with PG by drying out the tobacco. It may take a day or more to get it dried out right. During the warmer months I sat the baccy out in the sun in a shallow dish and it was done in a few hours. In the house it takes a great deal longer. If you dry it inside you get to experience a wonderful room note.

6. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

Maybe I'll play with it more as far as drying. G&H Rum flake gave me no trouble and of all things PA cherry vanilla seemed nice and dry and doesn't bite me at all. Yesterday I revisited some black cherry from the B&M. BAD NEWS dried it for 30 mins. Pinch test seemed okay. Still paying today. Most tobacs bite me but not the ones that dry quickly as I think they are not soaked in PG. Also I have noticed that biotene (which lists PG in it's ingredients) Seems to worsen the situation. I'm just glad I found some that work.

7. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

Is this PG on Shortcut to Mushrooms and Ruins of Isengard, these two seem to take forever to dry out enough to smoke (My other tobacco's would be turned to dust and these seem to be wet hours later)? On the same note even when smoked what i would call too wet they gave zero bite.

8. voodoo101

voodoo101 Member

I should add that I am sensitive to some products no matter what. So I can't have them at all.

9. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Does anyone know which companies use that stuff and which don't? I am much opposed to it and believe manufacturers should be required to list all additives. I've been told that Mac Baren uses a lot of it but do not know if that is true.

Old Codger likes this.
  10. voodoo101

voodoo101 Member

I agree that a listing of all ingredients should be listed. Long ago a contact lens solution preservative wrecked my eyes for a few days.
    I got to thinking more about what Ted said about an inflamed throat and later remembered the contact lens incident. So now I think that airing out may be a bad idea. It may be that Ted should leave PG alone.

11. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

I should add that I've never had the throat reaction with pipe; just the tongue become inflamed. It's weird too because it's painful and itchy (insert joke here). but seriously folks... I know C&D don't use it with their non-aros and I don't think Pease uses it much. It sure would explain the mcBite if they use it alot, although I've had their stuff dry out on me.

12. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I've come to believe the manufacturers should be required to list all non tobacco ingredients. I want to know all the tobaccos in it as well. That isn't giving away trade secrets. Everyone uses the same kinds if not the same quality of tobaccos. It is the ratios that create the individuality of the blends.

However, it is the non tobacco additions I really feel I have a right to know.

13. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

I have smoked tins and tins of MacB blends. I would honestly say, that if MacB uses PG it's with a very very light hand.

14. voodoo101

voodoo101 Member

This discussion has caused me to think about organic pipe tobacco as I am wondering about the taste.

15. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

I would bet you are right.

16. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

What I think is so funny is that PA Cherry Vanilla works for me. I would think it would be of the most adulterated however I can smoke it as much as I like with no issue whatsoever. Even regular PA or CH can irritate my tongue somewhat. It cetainly may be a combination of issues. There are many tobacs that may not work for me but may be fantastic for others. As I mentioned above, G&H Rum Flake works wonderfully for me as does C&D Old Joe Krantz. Both of these seem far less cased than others I have tried. Could be a PG issue, could be a moisture issue in general, maybe both...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.