1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Picked up some Dunhill Flake...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by beammeuptothesky, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beammeuptothesky

beammeuptothesky Member

....and boy is it tasty! :thu2:

After hearing so many solid reviews and good recommendations (mixed with a little TAD) about this flake tobacco, I had to pick up a tin to see for myself. It smokes very nicely after a little rubbing and some dry time and it had a nice natural flavor -- not too complex, but simple and full of flavor. I would liken it to the taste of OGS but with a creamier smoke and a little more demension....

Yes, I know this is just the beginning of a lasting relationship with Virginias and flake tobaccos, but I am now one more step into the journey and loving it! Happy smoking adventures!

~Aaron

BTW, this is not really meant to be a review as much as it is an exaltation of my experience with flake tobacco recently ;)

2. Albert

Albert Active Member

I hear you aaron, I pretty much only look for flakes right now when Im getting something new. Love em!

3. skaukatt

skaukatt Member

I right there with you guys as Virginias in all forms have taken over. Dunhill Flake is a wonderful blend that I think has a bit more going on than OGS, which is an excellent blend that I also enjoy. I threw a few tins in the cellar to see what some aging will do to it. Find some tins when it was called Light Flake (the name was changed due to all this business about the definition of what really constitutes a "light" designation) and you will also be rewarded with a wonderful taste. Find some Murray's version and you will really enjoy it.

4. ichabod

ichabod Member

I got some of this a while back and am anxious to buy more. I really like it and would not mind having it on hand at all times.

5. nitehawk

nitehawk Fearless Leader

I agree, I tried my first 50g tin of Dunhill Flake a couple of weeks ago. It was so good.....I didn't know whether to smoke it...or eat it.

HCraven likes this.
  6. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Ahhhh, more GAF converts. Always good
    to hear. I have a pound and a half of
    it myself. :th1:

dp

7. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I've become a huge fan of VA flake, and GAF is on my TAD list. I love it, and for me flake has pretty much eclipsed all other types except for English blends.

8. Albert

Albert Active Member

Dunhill Flake is one of the smoothest, well crafted, easy burning, tasty tobaccos ive ever tried.... really top notch!

9. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

good stuff!:thu2:

10. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

So why not just smoke English blends in flake form? There aren't as many as Virginia or Virginia/perique flakes, but there definitely are some out there.

I love flake tobacco, and with few exceptions have come to find many of them actually smoke more easily with less fuss than many ribbon cuts. Some of them are harder to get lit, but other than that I don't know what all the noise about flakes being harder to smoke is all about. I'd recommend LNF even for fairly new smokers, to be honest. It takes a light easily, is very easy to manage regardless of how you want to prepare it, and while there's an initial "blast" up front it mellows out in only a minute or two and becomes one of the best smokes out there (that I've tried)

I avoided flakes for a very long time because of everything I heard about them being difficult to smoke. Maybe for some, I suppose, but in my case I missed out on a wonderful aspect of pipe smoking from what ended up being rather unfounded warnings. Honestly I wish all pipe tobacco came either as a flake or a fine ribbon cut, just shy of being a shag cut, and that only so I have something more appropriate for breaks at work and quick smokes in colder weather.

Haven't tried Dunhill's flake yet. I suppose I ought to eventually, but I'm so busy smoking so many other treats :puffy:

11. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

GAF? That's one I've missed. Gonad-Absorbing Flake? Girlfriend Acceptance Factor? Got A Fart?

Well, don't keep me in suspense!

12. Albert

Albert Active Member

Ive been wondering what GAF stands for as well...

13. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Just ain't got 'round to them yet. But they're on the hit list :puffy:.

14. Snake

GAF stands for Gorilla Asscrack Flake. This was
    coined by Puff right when Flake became available
    stateside again. Page 368 of Now Smoking thread.
    Puff said it was so good that even if it were called
    GAF, he'd still buy it.

15. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Ooooh - tempting!!!!!! :laff:

16. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I'm still buying it, along with the gas to get there! :)

I've even got my containers of Flake labelled as "GAF". It's a great Va. Probably one of the best out there now (current production). My dunnie (1) Quaint takes a half flake so I can get like 40-ish bowls from one tin! Love this stuff.

Ed
    Puff

17. Albert

Albert Active Member

Yeah, id still buy it too...

18. Snake

As would we all, mate. As would we all!

19. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Just got my first tin yesterday, and smoking my 2nd bowl right now (in a cob tonight). I haven't heard angels sing like this since I discovered SL. What an amazing tobacco! Definitely added to my rotation, and -bonus- available at the B&M a block from my office! :bdance:

albot9 likes this.
  20. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

All shizzle, no fizzle, yo!

If nothing else, Puff nailed the 'crack' portion of his rechristened name. Well, Flake too...duh. And Gorilla, cuz he named it after himself....and Ass, because....uh...yeah...got me there(figuratively, not literally!). :)

DocB and HCraven like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.