Picked up some Dunhill Flake...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by beammeuptothesky, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Surprised you waited this long to acquire
    some. Still, glad it's a hit!

2. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Funny thing about it is that I always looked past it for pretty superficial reasons. When it was known as Dunhill Light Flake, the "Light" part kinda put me off because I tended to like "heavy" English blends. Plus, in terms of packaging, it's the odd duck in the Dunhill line, what with the little non-descript square tin and all (the old DLF tin was ugly, too). The fact that it was right in front of me the whole time contributed as well, since I used to make it my mission to seek out the harder to find stuff, like Sam Gawith, which seemed more exclusive, I guess. All in all, it just escaped my attention. Oh well, live and learn, right?

3. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Herb did you rub it out, fold and stuff? I got a tin a about a week ago and have only tried it once, it didn't behave.... I'm going to play around with moisture content and packing. I'm new to Virginias so I'm not sure what to expect. I also picked up a tin of McClelland Virginia Woods, it seemed dry, but would not stay lit to save my life... -David

4. Beale

Beale Active Member

When I was looking for a Navy Flake my B&M did not have Dunhill Navy Flake. They had Dunhill Flake. What is the major difference between the two? Beale.

5. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Typically I rub flakes out, but these looked so nice that I tried to F&S and it took a quite a few lights to get it going, so I followed the advice of a reviewer on TR. He said to split the flake and stuff half down into the bowl, cannonball style, and rub the other half out and sprinkle on top. I haven't really mastered the cannonball technique, but I gave it a go and it worked pretty well, though I still had to relight more than I would like. I'm still figuring out the drying time on this one, and the tin is obviously really fresh, so I'm sure my experience will improve. Even given the learning curve, I'm really impressed, though. Hope you enjoy it too, David!

6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

GAF right from the tin is superb rubbed out. If you're gonna fold-roll-and stuff, I'd let it dry out a touch. Great smoke and hope this one stays available for a while. I've found all the Dunhill leaf (current production) is great right out of the tin.

Dunhill Navy Flake is not made, it's Deluxe Navy Rolls. To me, it's GAF w/Perique......... GAF-Per??! :)

Ed
    Puff

7. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I'd recommend getting some next time you have a chance, Beale. I know you are enjoying a lot of Latakia blends, and I do too, but Virginias give you another avenue to explore and enjoy, and can prove to be a really nice change of pace and help to fine tune your palette, as they are a bit more subtle. Happy smoking, my friend!

Herb

8. Beale

Beale Active Member

Thanks Herb. I enjoy all tastes. I will and try it just for you!, Beale.

9. DocB

DocB Active Member

Ok, that's it... I have been looking at this tin on CoJ every day for the past 4 days. I am buying some. Beale, I hope you like it, because if I don't, I'm sending it to you. Ahahahahah!!!

Beale likes this.
  10. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Herb, tried it again in my new meerschaum, I let it dry for a little (although its humid here, so...) I finally "got" the flavor, and it was good, but it was still ornery and went from good to ashy and back a few times... I guess I should try it in a corncob, or dedicate a briar to it (the briar I tried it in had only been used for burleys so there were no major ghosts....). -David

11. beammeuptothesky

beammeuptothesky Member

I prefer to smoke my Dunhill Flake rubbed-out, dried for about an hour or so, and packed very loosely.
    I find this to be the best approach for my smoking style. Although, I do rub-out all my flake tobaccos, which seems to help get an even burn. "To each his own!"

Have fun with that stuff fellas! :)

~Aaron

12. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I had smoked it in a cob on Saturday, using the above described cannonball (sort of) method, but last night I tried drying it more (about an hour or so) and then rubbing it out fully and I put it in my new Bari (it's only been used for Virginia thus far). The jury is still out, but my initial impression is that I liked it in the cob a bit more, but maybe I'm manipulating too many variables at once. Gotta give it a rest tonight though; I don't usually smoke the same tobacco three days in a row, and though it was very good, I feel the need to switch things up a bit. Time for a little Latakia.

I am really looking forward to loading my Calabash with it, though...

13. Albert

Albert Active Member

My best smokes with GAF have been to tear a flake in half length wise, roll it up like a roll of insulation, and then twist it into the bowl of my MM pride. I love it in a cob. I think I would change my "Desert Island" smoke to GAF.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.