Pipe and Blends you have put through a shotgun wedding.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Mike Pomery, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Ahh, the pleasures of a briar you have forcefully deprived of any hope of tobacco variety...

Dedicated blends. I certainly vouch for this practice. Though your pipes may enjoy sleeping around with a whirlwind of 'strange', you, the pipe smoker (and master) are rather satiated with this imposed monogamy.

So do tell...

Pesky Grammar

2. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Stummel-Bum billiard & OGS

Kaywoodie 22 billard & Spilman Mixture

Kaywoodie Fine Line canadian & Presbyterian

Peterson Kapet & McClelland's Navy Cavendish

Dedicated pipes are the way to go with some of my "better" smokes.

3. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

This will be a dilemma for me as I'm running out of a couple
    brands that have long since been disco'd. I'll use Bri2k's format

Caminetto sitter & Caledonian 421

CAO meer & Caledonian 10

Dunhill chestnut billiard & Caledonian english mixture

Savinelli pot & Independence

dp

4. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

I don't really dedicate I just use PA, 5 bros. or CH to exorcise if I need to.

5. kirbyb

kirbyb Member

i dedicate pipes to styles of tobacco; va/per in a group of 6 pipes, english in a group of 6 pipes, etc.

6. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

What Kirby said.

:puffy:

7. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

yeah, i get a little insane with the families of blends but i don't do straight up dedications (except the black xx twist because that just doesnt freakin smoke out) and the macb 15 year old BLB which i'll probably smoke the new stuff in after this tin is gone.

that being said i have a pipe for medium VAs, red VAs, dark stoved VAs golden VAs and VaBur blends each (though i tend to get lazy if i'm in a hurry, one for burleys, one for cased burleys, one for cased VAs two for tonquins one for turkish, one for light english, one for heavy english, one for heavy english with turkish and one for really strong lakelands (the weaker lakelands get stuck in a meer)

8. ryan65

ryan65 Member

yah no kidding... after just one bowl of that stuff in my sherwood I had to fight through the next 3 or 4 bowls to get it out of there.

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Same here except SWR

10. bvillepipeguy

bvillepipeguy Member

i just have one pipe dedicated to English but other than that the rest get whatever i put in them, mostly otc stuff. but i do have some stanwell vanilla that dont play well with the other tobaccos i have, usually i can Chang a tobacco in just a few bowel fulls but this stuff hangs around and the weaker the ghost gets the worst it is. i think im gonna dedicate a cob to it.

11. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

I am in agreement to make a pipe for one and only one type of tobacco is the way to go all of my pipes have only ever had one type through them.......Well the very early pipes arent but all the good and newer ones are. The taste is just to much of a compailing factor not to to taste the one blend and not the 12 or however many that came before.

12. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

I am in agreement to make a pipe for one and only one type of tobacco is the way to go all of my pipes have only ever had one type through them.......Well the very early pipes arent but all the good and newer ones are. The taste is just to much of a compailing factor not to to taste the one blend and not the 12 or however many that came before.

13. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

All of my pipes are subjected to whichever tobacco I pull off the shelf. Most of my chosen tobacco is similar enough that a little ghosting doesn't seem to matter. I do have six that are set aside for only Virginias. I use them when I am trying out a new blend to help me identify any subtle tastes and determine whether to add the blend or forget it. After a blend has been added, I'll smoke it in any pipe I choose.
    I only have two truly "dedicated" pipes. One I carved in the shape of a frog head and it gets nothing except the Frog Morton series. The other one turned out looking like a walnut when I carved it. So far, it has only seen Middleton's Walnut. No dedication for flavor, just for "style".
    Dan

14. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

If I actually do dedicate it's with a cob, but it's got to be a fantastic weed for me to do it in the first place.

15. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

If you smoke Condor, it's recommended that you dedicate a pipe to it, so I did -> an Aldo Morelli pot + Condor Original Ready Rubbed

16. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

I have a briar that I only use non-aromatics in. The blends I have are similar enough that "non-aromatic" is a good enough category. I mostly rely on cobs and then I keep to one tin at a time in one until I lose track because nothing is labeled and over the course of a week I forget what is supposed to go into what. It's a mess, but it works for me. There's no use making sense of it because this is how I run the rest of my life too. No complaints.

17. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

I've got a little no name Italian pipe I smoke Aromatics in. My Peterson 999 Army for Billy Bud. My Nording Signature Straight Billiard for English.

18. hagbard

hagbard Member

The black ropes put you to the test huh? Jeez. I really like 'em. I find them to be pretty mellow with a strong yet clean taste and smell with little ghost. :doh:

But back on topic, personally I don't have too many pipes, yet. I do think that in the near future I might start keeping some pipes for certain kinds of tobacco.So far I have found that if you clean your pipe well after smoking there is little ghost.

19. Longrifle3006

Longrifle3006 Member

I'm still pretty new at this and still experimenting, and most of what I smoke is fairly similar so ghosting hasn't been an issue yet. However in my limited experience I've fond that some blends just taste better out of certain pipes. An example that I can cite (and of course YMMV certainly applies) is I always seem to enjoy PA and PASV more from my Kirsten than my other pipes. The smoke is always smooth, slightly sweet, and nutty. I've gotten that "licked the ashtray" or cigarette-ish taste on occasion from other pipes with PA, but never from the Kirsten. For that reason, when I'm in the mood for PA, I pick up the Kirsten.

my 2 cents, FWIW....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.