1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Pipe Bowl Size For Virginia Tobaccos

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by WVDAVE, Feb 7, 2013.

1. WVDAVE

WVDAVE Active Member

After a very informative thread on a nice straight Virginia, I ended up getting some Tordenskjold VA. Slices, a tin of McCranie's Red Ribbon and some 5100. What size bowl would you recommend to get the full enjoyment out of these tobaccos or any Virginia?

2. Longshanks

Longshanks He who shall; so shall he... wait, who?

It's always a matter of opinion, but I read an article that suggested VA was best smoked in a tall rectangular chamber, something like a billiard or dublin shape where the chamber depth was longer than the chamber diameter. On the flip side, it was suggested that English was best smoked in a square chamber like the pot or short apple, where the depth is about the same as the diameter.

As far as chamber diameter goes, I think 7/8" makes for a pleasant smoke... not to quick, not too drawn out.

3. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

IMHO, Virginias are slower smoking tobacco that, if pushed, tend to bit. The perfect bowl for me is a Dr. Grabow Westbrook. However, this little Stanwell Acorn pipe will burn 5100 for about an hour when sipped.
    [​IMG]

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Huge. The huger, the better. Works with all tobacco styles. Go Big Or Go Home. :ohyh:

But the universal answer is, whatever size you prefer.

5. buistd

buistd Sales Account

A billiard would be a good place to start.

6. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I smoke them in everything and anything.

MikeInMaine and Albert like this.
  7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

That's a super cool looking pipe !!! :ohyh:

Flakes burn slow and I think a lot of people smoke them in smaller bowls .. I smoke Ogdens Walnut in small pipe because it smokes in slow motion and any pipe bigger woudld take a long time . If I had 3 hours to " burn " then I'd fill a big pipe with it . I smoke the ribbon type Va in a medium Billiard . I smoke PS LTF [ slightly rubbed ] in a massive Pot . Go figure . Try a medium size and go either direction from there , maybe

Artistik likes this.
  8. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Medium size billiard.

9. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

Geez. It takes me almost 2 hours to smoke a 0.75 x 1.5 inch bowl. Something huge would take me all day. Hmm.

10. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

There are preferances in size, but I smoke Virginias in alomost any shape. Never had any issues. Also to me my defenision of average size pipe, or medium is a pipe bowl chamber that is .75 inches wide by about 1.5 inches deep. Also not conical--just regular bowl. I find in these I can can smoke anything with out any issues. I like smaller pipes for flakes that are strong, and when I have time I break out the huge pipes that take a while to smoke. In the big boys I tend to smoke Virginias only.

11. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Bear in mind that our new Mayor has implemented a ban on any bowls, 16oz or greater.:rolleyes:

Malcontent, Squatch347 and WyoBob like this.
  12. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

OH NO-----I may need to hide my massive pipes. If the mayor says nothing over 16 ounces I may be in trouble. When I speak about HUGE---I really do mean HUGE, MASSIVE--wooly mammoth size pipes.

13. Pieralinovski

Pieralinovski Member

What's working for me, for now, is the bigger (and wider) the bowl, the cooler the smoke and it easier for me to keep it lit.

14. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Member

I think any shape is OK - but I prefer a deeper bowl, as its easier to stuff flake in. I use my Hilson Meer lined bully for VA's, and really wish the bowl were deeper.