Pipe burns crooked??

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Jim44, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim44

Jim44 Member

Being somewhat of an old fart myself, this has got me puzzled.

One of my favorite pipes, a Peterson canadian , has started burning the tobacco crooked. This started rather suddenly, as this pipe started out to be an excellent smoke. No matter how I load it, pack it, light it, or tamp it, it burns straight down the left side of the bowl. The left side gets very hot, while the other side is only slightly warm.

Any ideas what I need to look for?

Thanks

2. Russ

Russ Member

Tilt your head the other way!

Actually I have a pipe that does the same thing, it also is a Pete. I am hoping someone will shed some light on this for the both of us.

Stormy and Lestrade like this.
  3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Empty the pipe and stick a pipe cleaner down the pipe, into the bottom of the bowl. Is the draft hole straight through?

4. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

A few possibilities come to mind, dunno if any are applicable:

-Uneven (or too much) bowl-cake?
    -Slightly off drilling (not dead-center or low), now accentuated by thicker cake, changing air flow/thermodynamics.?
    -Slightly off bowl shape (perhaps it has a micro-dent or was widened unevenly changing heat and air flow?)
    -partially blocked mortise/tenon/air hole/bit.... but you'd know this.
    -Had any dental work done? Got a bad tooth? Are you certain you have not had a stroke?

OK, the last one was in bad taste.

I like Russ's response. Lean the other way. Or smoke in the wind.

I'm intrigued. Let me know if you crack the case.

Old Codger likes this.
  5. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

:xd: OK.. that was funny.. I should know by now I shouldn't read some threads while a pipe is in my mouth..LOL..

I noticed that sometimes my pipes will do that. I think it's the way I tamp more towards the front of the bowl

6. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

:xd:

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

It's gotta be that it needs a cleaning and or rheeming .

8. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Are you evenly lighting the top of your bowl after the charring light and tap?

Raffxr7 and DGErwin11 like this.
  9. Russ

Russ Member

After reading this thread I have figured out what I am doing wrong. I am not a fan of this pipe. There is nothing wrong with it, I just dont like it. I keep giving it a chance, but I rush the smoke, tamp to hard, pack the bowl all willy nilly, in other words, I have just been looking for a reason to get rid of it. I just smoked it like I do my favorites and there was no problem what so ever. Still dont like the pipe, but will fully admit that it was user error.

Spillproof likes this.
  10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I've got pipe that are drilled a whole state to the left or right of center, and they smoke just fine, no right/left pull on the burn at all.

My thought is that for some reason you are lighting the pipe more on one side, getting more flame to one side and burning it faster. So the answer if this is the case is to really see when you light that the thing is burning even, and I think paradoxically, tamp a little more on the fast-burning side. This will allow LESS air to go that route, and the slow side will burn and catch up. Sometimes you just have to make a pipe do what it's supposed to do!

Or I could be totally wrong. That did happen once. But it was a good long while ago. :toast:

11. Jim44

Jim44 Member

Problem solved!! I usually do my smoking on the front porch, which makes me be facing southeast. I tried going out on the back porch, facing northwest, and the pipe did just fine, with just a slight tendency to burn to the right side of the bowl. I think that if I always smoke facing due north, it will return to being the wonderful pipe I originally thought it was. Thanks to all for the help.

Jim

12. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

:confused: Are we talking a wind issue here?
    I can face any direction when smoking.
    Not trying to make fun, just curious as
    the 'fix' didn't mention any indication
    of wind.

13. Russ

Russ Member

Great, now I have to add a compass in my pipe bag...

dwaugh and Tom wolf like this.
  14. Jim44

Jim44 Member

Nope, wind has nothing to do with it. Must be strictly a gravity thang.

On a more serious note, I had not given much thought to the cake buildup in the bowl because it is a fairly new pipe and really hasn't built up much at all. But, just in case, I took my sharpest Case knife and did a precision ream of the bowl, removing maybe a sheet of paper thickness, if that much. paying particular attention to SMOOTH and even. I fired it up for a couple test runs, and lo and behold, it is fixed. I have no idea what the exact problem was, as there were no visible uneven spots or anything like that.:toast:

Just shows to go you............:msty:

Spillproof likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.