Pipe cleaner and bent stem

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Sniper, Jul 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sniper

Sniper Member

Dear colleagues, I am getting used to my new pipe which has a very acutely bent stem(lip and tenon form a 90 deg angle). When I try to pass pipe cleaners through it the tip of the pipe cleaner which is metal scratches the inner side of the stem, leaving some stem-powder on the tip of the cleaner. I have tried to bend the cleaner tip a bit but it always scratches the stem at a certain position. I worry that the pipe cleaners will pierce the stem someday. Are there any pipe cleaners which do not have a sharp metal tip? Any other advices on the ways to clean such a bent stem? Thanks!

2. ThePipingKevin

ThePipingKevin Member

unfortunately, almost all pipe cleaners have a metal inner part. it helps with pushing the cleaner into the stem. you can however buy better quality pipe cleaners. some are more scratchy, while others are very soft. i would ask your local tobacconist to see if he or she carries the softer cleaners. all you have to do is when you buy cleaners in a store or online look for ones that say "Soft" on them they look rather fat, and are almost always the same thickness throughout the cleaner. i would, when you try to clean, (obviously don't cram it in there) push it in and as soon as you need a little more force thats where the cleaner is "scratching". perhaps you could wait 24hours and remove the stem from the shank completely. then clean it that way. although be warned the more you remove the stem the looser it will become. :)

Rodfather and Professor like this.
  3. Sniper

Sniper Member

Thanks Kevin, I just tried to use a sharp piler to bend the tip backwards onto itself, the initial passage was a bit dfficult but it did not scratch the stem along the whole length. Perhaps this can help to avoid scratching. Cheers!

Professor likes this.
  4. ThePipingKevin

ThePipingKevin Member

Yes that is a very good idea! alothough when you bent it back you are creating a little "point" so be careful. :D

Sniper likes this.
  5. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Sometimes the ends of pipe cleaners are not cut smooth at the factory, try snipping a little bit off the end yourself and see if that makes a difference? You may get a cleaner smoother cut this way.

Robert leslie and Sniper like this.
  6. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

That is the primary reason that I don't own a bent pipe more than a quarter bent. To me the only alternative is to remove the stem each time you have to clean which I abhor. I am extremely anal about a pipe that won't pass a cleaner. Life is too short and there are too many pipes that will pass a cleaner to condtstantly fool with one that doesn't.

Sniper, Mister Moo and SouthBound like this.
  7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

+1 cha-ching! I hate pipecleaner battles and also prefer straighter pipes for that reason. I had a full bent once and, although it clenched/hung beautifully, cleaning it wore me out.

Sniper likes this.
  8. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Member

I have a bent meer that wouldn't pass a pipe cleaner, and like an idiot I took it apart. It had the threaded insides and I must have put it back together wrong because when I threaded the stem back on the shank cracked open. I krazy glued it back together after hurtling the little threaded deal into the darkness and not only is the draw better but the pipe is now colouring in a really cool pattern around the glue seams.

Having learned my lesson, I'm buying an Altinok on thursday.

Jburr01369 likes this.
  9. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I like bent pipes, but haven't found a recipe for how they work with pipe cleaners. I have a 1/4 bent Peterson that won't pass a pipe cleaner because the stem and shank holes don't line up. I have a Savinelli 3/4 bent dublin that passes a pipe cleaner fairly easily... go figure.

10. Sniper

Sniper Member

Knowing the risk of loosening the connection between the stem and the shank, I am still taking them apart for cleaning each time after I smoke. I have used to this procedure and I always dip the cleaner tip into high purity ethanol to facilitate the removal of tar. It takes me less than two minutes to complete this procedure. Then I leave them apart for a day or two for a more thorough drying.

11. ThePipingKevin

ThePipingKevin Member

Good idea. But like i said earlier if you are talking about a briar pipe constant usage of this technique wil result in a very loose connection between shank and bowl. trust me its a pain to fix and can very easy to prevent

Sniper likes this.
  12. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Trust me? Trust me, Joel?
    You're going to have to do better than that. :D

[​IMG]

13. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

I didn't know that improper pipecleaner technique was such a ........Risky Business

whitebriar and MacNutz like this.
  14. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

When you remove the stem on your Altinok, remove and re-install by turning the bit clockwise. I'd wait until the pipe cooled down, as well.

My Altinok is in New York as I type. Hopefully, it will be put on a fast horse.

WyoBob

15. Sniper

Sniper Member

With my limited experience, to preserve the tightness of a stem-shank assembly, it is very important, besides not to remove when hot and rotate in one direction only, rotate slowly and allow a few seconds of resting time between each twist. Once I tried to remove a tight stem in one go, and I could feel the tremendous amount of heat generated during the rotation, I can feel the heat by touching the shank and I can smell burnt gunpowder(vulcanite sulphur) from the stem. I strongly believe such heat can damage the stem/shank.

16. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

i just smoke 'em till they start to be a bit off--then i cool 'em and clean 'em--let 'em rest a spell and then start over--

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.