1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Pipe cleaner types

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by DublinBecker, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DublinBecker

DublinBecker Member

Hello everyone,

What type of pipe cleaner do you use to clean your pipes? regular, extra fluffy/absorbent, bristled? Do you keep an assortment of different pipe cleaners for different cleaning jobs, e.g., regular for daily cleaning, extra fluffy when alcohol is involved, and bristled only for the thorough Spring cleaning?

I have been using bristled pipe cleaners regularly which I purchased along with my first pipe. I wonder if using this type of pipe cleaner frequently would cause damage to the pipe, especially to the tip of the stem...

2. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

I keep 3 different types of pipe cleaners on hand. I use extra fluffy cleaners more often than anything else. I like how they are a nice tight fit when cleaning the stems.

I have some Dill's on hand too because I have one pipe that the extra fluffy's won't pass through. The Dill's are smaller diameter and even they are a tight fit for that pipe.

I only use bristled cleaners when I feel they are needed which is seldom. I've often wondered if they would cause damage over a period time but I don't use them enough to know the answer.

3. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Just two kinds, Long's bristle and non bristle. Haven't noticed any wear from the use of the bristle pipe cleaners even on pipes that have been cleaned weekly with them for 20 or 30 years. A pair of nail clippers that cuts about half an inch off each end of any pipe cleaner before use since the wire seems to get unraveled sometimes and can gouge some bent stems, is also habit.

4. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

I use the regular non-bristle pipe cleaners after each smoke and about once every 10 smokes I run a bristle cleaner through for a better cleaning. I was surprised to read on here that some use bristle cleaners after each smoke. I might explore using them more often.

5. Iain

Iain Active Member

Old Codger likes this.
  6. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

All I have is regular old pipe cleaners. I also have a shank brush that I use when heavier cleaning is needed...

7. DublinBecker

DublinBecker Member

Thanks everyone for the responses. Looks like pipesandcigars.com has a sampler of different types of pipe cleaners for experimentation-inclined like me... I'll try a variety and see what produce the best results for the pipes that I have.

8. Professor

Professor Active Member

BJ Long's Extra long tapered Pipe Cleaners - 100% Cotton.

9. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

100% cotton for daily useage- BJ Longs is the preferred so far. I used the tapered and the extra fluffy from BJ's for deep cleaning.

10. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Shank Brushes

So, up until today I didn't even know what these were (to the pipe world that is) if any of you are looking for them cheap or without having to order them I will let you in on a little secret. So I have a 5 month old son, and I was cleaning his bottles this evening, and noticed what I was using to clean the nipples with was...you guessed it, a shank brush. I literally have dozens of these lying around, everytime we bought bottles for him, they came with a pack of 4. If you live near a store that sells baby stuff you can grap yourself a pack of 10 for pretty cheap. Here's a pic of the brand I have:[​IMG]

Some of you may have already known this, just wanted to pass it along. I hope it's useful to someone :th1:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.