pipe cleaning question

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by smokinghost, Jan 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smokinghost

smokinghost Member

so i have a question,

i just smoked my first pipe. i know youre supposed to let it sit and cool down. what is a general rule for cleaning a pipe after each smoke amd how often should i do a thorough cleaning and whats the best way to thoroughly clean your pipe. im smoking a corn cob at the moment. thanks in advance.

2. Jay

Jay Active Member

Take out the filter thing and throw it away. Never put it back in. Run a pipe cleaner down the stem and then blow out what ever large chunks of debris may be hiding in the shank. That's it.

You can fold your pipe cleaner in half, like a horseshoe and rub it on the inside of your bowl to keep the cake down.

When the pipe tastes, smells or feels funky, take off the stem and run some booze soaked cleaners through it. Or let it sit for a day or two.

Get a few more pipes to make a rotation so the previous days pipe can have a rest.

3. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

Cobs are pretty low mantanace. If you have the kind w/ the paper filters you will ethier have to toss them all together or replace them every few smokes. I run a pipe cleaner through the stem and ream the bowl w/a dry wadded up paper towel.

4. Capt

Capt Active Member

I do exactly what Jay does. Great advice Jay!

5. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

What Jay said. Except, don't use expensive booze
    such as single malt scotch. I'll hunt you down if
    you do so. I AM the whisky police!!!

6. Jay

Jay Active Member

He really is.

Use the crap you feed to your in-laws

Actually I wouldn't use in-law booze on my pipes, I like them too much!

7. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

Agreed. Cheap booze for cleaning your pipe, good booze for cleaning your gullet!!

WrightwoodJohn likes this.
  8. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Everclear works great if it's available in your state :dkn:

9. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

+1 for Jay. That post needs to be framed and pinned to the cob forum!

MacNutz likes this.
  10. DocMacKinnon

DocMacKinnon Member

Actually, I will pour myself a "wee dram" of a fine Scotch, and dip a pipe cleaner in it and use that for cleaning my pipes. A nice rum or bourbon works very well- there are many that are quite nice for both purposes.
    One rum that I would only use for cleaning pipes is Admiral Nelson- a horrible spiced rum that insults the honourable legend of Horatio Nelson as well as any good spiced rum. I have a little mini-bottle that serves that purpose and that only.

11. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Spiced Rum is not something I would use on my pipe. I hate the spices in that stuff. I thought it was there to keep alcoholics from over drinking. :)

ol gto likes this.
  12. DocMacKinnon

DocMacKinnon Member

Like with cooking, if you'd put it in yer gob, then put it in yer pipe. :sailor:

13. zirrow

zirrow Member

This is usually how I do it, but it's generally Jim Beam or Glenmorangie - though sometimes I have to just force myself to go get another dram as I've forgotten to dip the pipe cleaner the first time ;)

14. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

15. shadow

shadow Active Member

I use Jack Daniels for a proper clean. It get everything out and the pipes taste well after this procedure.:bing:

16. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I ditch the filters and make my own with a small peice of papr towel that I twist very tightly. Such a filter only lasts for a smoke or two, but paper towel is cheap. The small, twisted peice of paper towel allows for a good draw while still filtering the nasty stuff.

I use the cheapest whiskey I can find to clean my pipes. There are several different brands of pipe cleaning solution on the market, but I don't trust the stuff - way too many chemicals. Cheap whiskey seems to be the safest, and the aftertaste is not unpleasant. Just take off the lid, dip a fresh pipe cleaner into the whiskey, then run it through the pipe once or twice. Then let the pipe dry. Do not use rum! Sounds like a good idea, but rum is sugar-based and it can have nasty effects on your pipe.

Get a second and third MM cob, and rotate your pipes. It's easier on the pipes, and it saves you a lot of cleaning time.

17. Duke

Duke Member

I never use filters in cobs or in any pipes. Because a cob has that open shank to accomodate the filter I often fold in-half 2 or 3 pipe cleaners to swab out the open shank. Deep cleaning the shank I use a very strong alcohol.

18. smokinghost

smokinghost Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I've got some Jack in the cupboard and that seems to work very well. I'll take the paper towel idea into consideration.

19. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

When I smoke a cob or other filtered pipe I always use the filters which help keep the shank pretty clean, requiring less maintenance over the long haul, running a pipe cleaner through the stem to the bowl after a smoke and then swab out the bowl with a wadded up piece of newsprint to keep the cake to a minimum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.