1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Pipe cleaning

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by mitch11111, Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mitch11111

mitch11111 Member

Last weekend I was visiting my favourite antique mall, when I came across a nifty pipe rack with a tobacco jar. For the price of $18, I couldn't resist. The rack even included a Dr. Grabow Grand Duke pipe. The pipe was in somewhat rough shape, so I tried to fix it up a bit. I reamed the bowl and gave it the salt and alchol treatment. This seemed to help a lot. I also cleaned out the stem and applied some olive oil.
    While this has dramatically improved the pipe's condition. I still wouldn't call it "good as new". There is some slight oxidation on the stem. I have heard that soaking the stem in bleach can remove some oxidation, but I am hesitant. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to both the outside of the bowl and the stem to really give it a good shine. I know there are some polishes and waxes out there, but I was wondering if there are any homemade solutions that wouldn't require me to purchase anything. Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

2. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Don't put it in bleach, unless you have a buffing wheel. The bleach will remove the oxidation, but raise a very rough surface that needs a buffing wheel to get off. I use Bar Keepers Friend. It has a small amount of acid in it, and with a bit of elbow grease, will do the job. You can then hand polish/wax it to look pretty decent.

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Bartenders Friend does indeed work and there are also kits you can get quite cheaply - WalkerBriarworks does one as does Denicote. I got one of these as a Christmas present (the Denicote one) and have had good results with it. I found the stem polish worked best if appplied to a damp cloth and was then rubbed in in small cirles. I got the stem to a high polish by finishing off with Dura Glit metal polish wadding.

Again the kit came with briar polish - apply leave for 24 hours and then polish up with a soft cloth. A cheap and cheerful solution for briar which has worked for me for over 30 years is to apply shoe polish, leave it to go hard and then buff off with a soft cloth,

Hope this helps

Gerry

4. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Mr clean eraser pad works also.

5. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

A good jewelers polish works good as well. Also there is a product you can buy on ebay called Magic Cloth which works wonders on pipes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.