1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

pipe company's yearly profits

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by David Emond, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Hi everyone,

Didnt know where to post this. Found this on Peterson, kinda interresting. Theres a graph at the end of the page that shows that in 2012 they had a big spike maybe from a boost in sales ?

https://www.duedil.com/company/IE032027/kapp-and-peterson-limited/financials

id love to see detailed profits or pipe sold per year.

2. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

I'll tell you exactly what happened in 2012...

Reddit.com

the PipeTobacco subreddit has brought in some serious new numbers

Jussto, Tony Malerich and David Emond like this.
  3. DeusExMachina

DeusExMachina Member

Also, movies. The Lord of the Ring/Hobbit and Sherlock Holmes movies have brought in a wave of new pipers. Peterson, being a readily available, and reasonably priced brand stood to benefit for sure. Especially since they offer a "Sherlock Holmes" line and Churchwardens.

4. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Reddit is crazy, man. Like a world into itself. And a really, really weird one at that.

Jussto and gentimmy like this.
  5. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

The folks in every antique store I've been in over the past year have said they've seen increased demand for pipes, with a lot of college kids trying it out. Might be a fad. If it brings some more good blenders and carvers into the market, great. But I'd hate to see something like the cigar boom of the mid-90's that saw quality decline and left a lot of wreckage in the industry. Not to mention getting everyone more unwelcome attention from the regulators.

Old Codger likes this.
  6. Labman

Labman Member

You think Reddit is weird? You should check out 4Chan...wait, on second thought, you definitely shouldn't! :D

Old Codger and gentimmy like this.
  7. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

I rode the cigar craze from before and after, certainly hope all that can be avoided again

ruffinogold likes this.
  8. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

yea...don't:p:

Labman likes this.
  9. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

I went to put some more down on a layaway pipe locally, and noticed that another I'd been eyeing was no longer in the case. When the owner pulled up the basket of layaways, though sad I'd lost out on a pipe I wanted, I was rather excited to see the number of pipes they had set aside. I've done my part to encourage piping when I stop at that store, and it looks like plenty of other influences are helping out.

10. Leonard W

Leonard W Member

Looking at their website, they also own Zippo, Swiss Army knives and Leatherman, so it might be hard to say where growth came from. Having said that, I believe that traditional pipe tobacco (vs. products that are simply called 'pipe tobacco' and are likely not smoked in a pipe) is declining about 5-6% per year. Anecdotaly, I've heard from several folks in the industry that physical pipe sales are experiencing strong growth.

Old Codger likes this.
  11. MatthewB

MatthewB Member

I belong to reddit it has something like 20 million users. It is a good site if you filter out all the crap. I belong to /r/pipes over there which is essentially dead. Never heard of /r/pipetobacco though. I'll have to check it out.

12. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

Well....they didn't have any new blends that would cause this spike so it looks like the pipe may have made a rebound in 2012!!

13. Longshanks

Longshanks He who shall; so shall he... wait, who?

Yep... it's a new fad at the colleges. Had a kid from Charlston tell me when I sold him a couple pipes. Regarding 'unwelcome attention'... I'm hoping that the lack of DWI and overdose situations stemming from legal tobacco pipe smoking will help keep things under wraps. On a positive note... these are our new voters. If pipe smoking is popular throughout the post education world, I have great hope and outlook for our pipe smoking traditions.

Tony Malerich likes this.
  14. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Damn hipsters...

avislash likes this.
  15. capt dave

capt dave Member

awwww! i'm gonna quit...it's mainstream cool now. the school kids are doin it.

highstump and MikeInMaine like this.
  16. Thuber88

And we all know that a lot of those pipes are being bought for a home brew mixture of tobacco and .............

17. capt dave

capt dave Member

you mean....beatnicks....oh my god :puke:
    ebay pipes will be unsafe from now on!

18. Thuber88

they use cooking ware or plant receptacles for hats, theres some technical name they use, but I'm not up on all that hep cat lingo

19. Wideawake75

Wideawake75 Member

Unfortunately Capt, that may be a valid point.

20. brumoon

brumoon Member

I heard some statistics the other day that indicate that pipe smoking is increasing in the 20-30 yr old range. Overall there are less pipe smokers than there were 50 years ago but may be increasing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.