1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

pipe for virginia flakes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ocipio, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ocipio

ocipio Member

So someone hands you $100 and tells you to get yourself a pipe for smoking only Virginia flakes in.

What do you get?

2. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

A cob and 8 tins of Dunhill flake. ;)

3. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

Best. Answer. Ever.

Johnny Dingo likes this.
  4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

One of these would do for me, and a bit left over for some Best Brown![​IMG]

5. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

I like your taste Ted.

6. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

A straight stem billiard.

Artistik likes this.
  7. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I had a waaaay-too-long response typed up for this. In short I don't think that any pipe is better suited for VA flakes, flakes in general, or VA blends in general than any other pipe. Or rather, any style of pipe. All things being equal in terms of the quality of construction, some pipes just seem to perform the best with a certain type of blend, or even a certain specific blend. This cannot be accounted for outside of random chance. If all you smoke is VA flakes, than any good pipe will be a good pipe for VA flakes, but if you smoke a wide variety of blends then a pipe may be great for VA blends but ethereal when paired with, for instance, a latakia blend or burley.

So since I can't buy a pipe and expect it to perform best when matched with a specific tobacco, I can only buy a pipe with reasonable expectations of quality and then see what the pipe seems to favor, or rather what I tend to favor in said pipe.

That said, if I had a 100 dollar budget and was looking to buy a pipe with that money, I'd probably go with a Peterson. They take a while to break in in my (limited) experience with them when compared to Savinelli, but in said experience once they reach their potential they smoke better than Savinellis and seem more sturdy. Seeing as a pipe well cared for will last at LEAST until the end of your lifetime, a long break-in period is not to be taken into consideration unless it's your first pipe.

OT's picked a good looking pipe up there. Lately I've been wanting to give a churchwarden a try. I'd consider this:
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=108068

[​IMG]

8. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

If you like the fold & stuff method, I'd get a briar with a 3/4" bore and a inside bowl height of 1.25" or more. For rubbed out Virginia, I'd go with a large 13/16" conical shape bowl, also briar.

While Burley tastes superior in a cob IMHO... Virginia ghosts oh so good in a briar. For $100? I'd probably get a Peterson, Neerup or Savinelli, but lean heavily toward the first two.

9. Tsal

Tsal Well-Known Member

Anything with a tapered bowl will do the trick.

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

The pipe in my avatar, which I already own and for which $100 would make but a down payment.

Then I'd take the $100 and buy a nice bottle of single malt scotch to go with the flake.

11. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I'd find the biggest pot my 100 bucks would buy.

Truth be told, I think any pipe will smoke any tobacco well.

Spillproof and dmkerr like this.
  12. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

:appl: Testify, brother!!!! :thu2:

Every time I'm asked which pipe works best for flakes, my response is "All of 'em. Pick your favorite pipe, load a flake or 3, and enjoy. Worrying about pipe shape and size is pointless".

I've put flakes in my smallest pipe (Group 5) and my biggest (Group 58) and it works beautifully in them all.

Rewster66 likes this.
  13. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Something like this .......

[​IMG]

Spillproof and jpberg like this.
  14. Tsal

Tsal Well-Known Member

Well I guess then this is a contender.
    [​IMG]

Spillproof likes this.
  15. UberHuberMan