Pipe Gripes - eBay edition

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by LifeOfRiley, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pappy

Pappy Member

I did my last eBay deal years ago. Not going to go into a rant but, the killer was actually PayPal. Secure my:booty:!!! Personally if I'm looking for an estate pipe or a particular make and model, I would much rather buy it from one of you here. Just my 2 cents.

2. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

Good points here. Sometimes the shipping is not as unrealistic as it looks though. Especially if it's registered or "first class" - it's the price of the box and bubble wrap as well. Still they make a couple of dollars/pounds on top of it...

On another note: I love it when they misspell something and nobody else bids because it's a "Pakrer" or a "Comyos". I've noticed people buying and re-listing such items immediately but correctly for a quick profit.

3. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

I saw a meer that was "cleaned" up. It looked like the guy to some 60 grit to the poor thing and ruined it.

4. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

I don't necessarily agree with point #2 "selling used cobs".
    2 of my favorite MM cobs were purchased used off Ebay. Both have been out of production for half a century, and in good used condition.
    Where else are you going to find something like that?

Smokey Tom likes this.
  5. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

I'm glad I only live two doors away from the Post Office then!

Re: misrepresentation, how many of you have seen clay or ceramic pipes offered as meerschaums?

6. Longshanks

Longshanks He who shall; so shall he... wait, who?

Amen, brother! The high priced 'buy now' auctions with blurry pictures are a favorite and usually including the following verbage: "I don't know anything about pipes. Ask questions before bidding."

Which of course translates to "I'm going to charge you for a brand new retail marked up pipe, charge you what it would cost to ship to China and send you what turns out to be an old brylon junker that I reamed carbon out of with a rusty screwdriver and smeared Chapstick all over."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.