1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Pipe Gripes - eBay edition

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by LifeOfRiley, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pappy

Pappy Member

Jul 5, 2012
    I did my last eBay deal years ago. Not going to go into a rant but, the killer was actually PayPal. Secure my:booty:!!! Personally if I'm looking for an estate pipe or a particular make and model, I would much rather buy it from one of you here. Just my 2 cents.
  2. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Good points here. Sometimes the shipping is not as unrealistic as it looks though. Especially if it's registered or "first class" - it's the price of the box and bubble wrap as well. Still they make a couple of dollars/pounds on top of it...

On another note: I love it when they misspell something and nobody else bids because it's a "Pakrer" or a "Comyos". I've noticed people buying and re-listing such items immediately but correctly for a quick profit.
  3. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

Aug 27, 2012
    I saw a meer that was "cleaned" up. It looked like the guy to some 60 grit to the poor thing and ruined it.
  4. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

Sep 18, 2012
    I don't necessarily agree with point #2 "selling used cobs".
    2 of my favorite MM cobs were purchased used off Ebay. Both have been out of production for half a century, and in good used condition.
    Where else are you going to find something like that?
    Smokey Tom likes this.
  5. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

Jan 28, 2011
    I'm glad I only live two doors away from the Post Office then!

Re: misrepresentation, how many of you have seen clay or ceramic pipes offered as meerschaums?
  6. Longshanks

Longshanks He who shall; so shall he... wait, who?

Dec 21, 2012
    Amen, brother! The high priced 'buy now' auctions with blurry pictures are a favorite and usually including the following verbage: "I don't know anything about pipes. Ask questions before bidding."

Which of course translates to "I'm going to charge you for a brand new retail marked up pipe, charge you what it would cost to ship to China and send you what turns out to be an old brylon junker that I reamed carbon out of with a rusty screwdriver and smeared Chapstick all over."
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.