1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

pipe ID - is this a Savinelli?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by muskie12, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muskie12

muskie12 Member

Hi all - I'm a pipe newbie and just bought my third estate pipe off eBay. The seller listed it as "Vintage Savinelli Golf Briar Estate Tobacco Pipe". It has a Savinelli shooting star logo (?) but otherwise only has GOLF and Real Briar stamped on it. It also has a metal rod in the stem that screws into the shaft, which I've never seen before. It was cheap and the seller shipped exactly what was pictured so I don't think I got taken, but my question is whether or not it's really a Savinelli?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. User3940

User3940 Active Member

That is not a Sav logo that I recognize, and if I had access to my pipe logo link from my work computer I could tell you who the maker is. I'm sure someone else will jump on this for you.

3. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I am also thinking that the stem may be in upside down. I could be wrong but logos are predominately on the left side of the stem.

4. User3940

User3940 Active Member

The metal rod in the stem is called a stinger and is a type of filtration system. Some are removable, others are pressed in.

5. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Muskie you need to go to the new members section and introduce yourself so you can get flooded with all the welcomes. Great bunk of folks on here with a ton of information for new pipe smokers.

And let me be first to say...........Welcome from New Mexico.

6. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I am pretty sure the Savinelli logo is an s inside a crown.

User3940 likes this.
  7. User3940

User3940 Active Member

It could be a Sav second, but again I would have to check my references.

8. KN092011

KN092011 Member

I just did a quick search and I think I found the same link Coastie was talking about (pipephil.eu). I found the brand "Golf Real Briar" but the stamp looks a lot different. They use a script instead of block letters. The logo on the stem is different too, a G inside a circle. I wonder if the stem is a replacement, borrowed from another brand altogether.

I think it's safe to say it's definitively not a Sav. If it smokes good though and was bought at a bargain, than the markings and logos are irrelevant.

9. User3940

User3940 Active Member

It may be an Italian made Frankenstein. But as KN says, if it smokes good, you like it, and you didn't pay a fortune for it based on the maker, then enjoy.

10. KN092011

KN092011 Member

Dug a little deeper on that site; the shooting star logo was used by Savinelli (Antique Shell, Oscar, & Sila). The stem may be from a Sav and the stummel from a Golf Real Briar. Kind of a mut restoration? I don't know though, I'm far from an expert. I'm just piecing together and regurgitating what I'm reading from the site....

11. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Savinelli uses a zillion different logos, the shooting star being one of them. That being said, that pipe looks like a hybrid, but who knows, they put out a lot of pipes.....

12. muskie12

muskie12 Member

The stem screws into the shaft and the logo ends up on the right side when it's screwed all the way in. It makes me wonder if the stinger was added specifically to make the stem fit the shaft. Which would explain a Savinelli stem and a "Golf" bowl.

13. muskie12

muskie12 Member

Thanks everyone. I was thinking it was probably a mutt. It was cheap and it's in pretty good condition so I'm not too worried about it, but I may contact the seller about listing it as a Savinelli. I haven't smoked it yet but I hope to soon.

14. User3940

User3940 Active Member

If the logo ends up on that other side after screwing in the stem that adds to the suspicion that the stem is from a Sav and the stummel/bowl is from a Golf.

15. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Just remember that the seller may not be a pipe smoker and may not really know what he/she was offering. That is the case most of the time.

16. Stinger4me

Stinger4me Member

The trademark is identical to the one on a pipe I purchased. It is a Baronet, the shop owner told me it was a Savinelli second. The pipe is an OOM-PAUL and a good smoker. Just my $.02, hope it helps.

Stinger

17. muskie12

muskie12 Member

That's the case here, I think the seller owns an antique shop in Canada. I emailed them about returning the pipe but so far haven't heard back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.