1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Pipe ID ?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by cellophane, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cellophane

cellophane Member

I purchased a used (?) pipe from my local store and am wondering if anyone would be able to ID it. Between it and the Dr. Grabow Walgreens variety pipe the store bought is infintely superior, even to my novice tastebuds.

I'll try to take some pictures over lunch.

Pipe is briar, slightly flared dublin bowl with a curved bit. Stamp on it reads: Regency Beau Bottom stamp is Italy. Stem says Bari, but it may be a replacement. It has a metal piece in the stem that inserts into the tenon - no idea what it's actually called (stinger maybe?.)

I'm not expecting it to be a super awesome rare find, more just curious.

2. cellophane

cellophane Member

3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I'm confused. You have a Danish stem on an Italian pipe. Screw it, hows it smoke?

4. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

The stamp on your stem is consistant with the Danish Bari brand. If they are now made in Italy I can't say but Cupajoes probably can - I think they sell Bari pipes. http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-b1.html

If Stanwell moved to Italy, why can't Bari? :whistle:

5. cellophane

cellophane Member

me too.

it gurgles a bit, which i think is caused by the metal thing. otherwise i've enjoyed it, although i don't know enough to really provide a good review.

6. Mister Moo

Exactly what kind of store sold you this pipe? i think a mismatched stem is kind of unusual.

7. cellophane

cellophane Member

Local tobacco shop. The pipe was one of many in a mis-mash box of pipes which I assume were used and refurbished. The stem fits very well, just odd that it's mismatched which is partly why I posted. The little bit I could figure out was that the Bari brand is Danish. I couldn't find anything about the Regency Beau part. The store itself has been around since 1832 which is pretty commendable for any company so someone knows what they are doing - just not me. ;)

8. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

Thats actually a nice looking pipe.

Did I understand you to say it smokes better than a Grabow? ..... Hmmm hard for me to fathom with that stinger. :noidea:

9. cellophane

cellophane Member

Other than the gurgle I think it does. It could just be that its broken in or I just liked the tobacco more. /shrug The Grabow is a little lighter and I can hold it with my teeth a little easier but overall I've enjoyed the other pipe more.

10. Mister Moo

Unless someone comes in and says Bari made bowls in Italy, there's your ID, then. It's a "Good Smoking Mishmosh Pipe."

They are rare. Congratulations!

11. cellophane

cellophane Member

Woo! It's a one of a kind! Thanks :cheers:

12. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

you're obviously forgetting in the 1950-'60s stingers and small airways smoked better. ;)

13. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Barling had the narrow airways theory for a while as well - never yet had one that wasn't improved by opening out the airway!

It's a nice enough looking pipe - but again I've never had a pipe with a stinger that didn't gurgle; I automatically take them out and throw them away,

Happy smoking

Gerry

14. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

That's really interesting Gerry. My experience is the exact opposite of yours. I've got a bunch of Kaywoodies in the rotation and I can't remember them gurgling, but many of my "non-stinger" pipes have. I tend to smoke pretty hard to get my vitamin N fix which may have something to do with it. The good news is I've never heard of any adverse effects removing the stinger from a Kaywoodie except in terms of their value to collectors.

15. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

UPDATE 6/20/11:
    In the interest of contributing to the knowledge base (and perhaps, at long last, to definitively answer the OP's question), I have found ANOTHER Italian-made, Bari-labeled, Regency Beau Pipe. I guess Cellophane's is not a mishmosh after all. It is rather strange that a Danish company would produce pipes in Italy. It's also the only Bari I've seen with a stinger, too.

Herb

16. Mister Moo

Not so strange. Our Danish friends at Stanwell commited to move their production to Italy about a year ago. Haven't seen any Stannies stamped "Made In Italy" yet but I guess they're coming if they haven't already.

17. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250838604865&clk_rvr_id=242122556331 idk if this is the same one, but it certainly gives one something to think about in regards to the topic.

18. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Actually, the word ANOTHER was a link to that pipe.

19. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Whoops didn't notice. It would be cool if links in the forum showed up as a different color!

20. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

We can change the font color in our posts if we want to (assuming you're not using the mobile app). I've taken to putting my links in bold lately, but maybe I should try red or something.

I just thought it strange that this pipe came up on my recommendations right after I read this thread (I was researching Bari last night); at first I thought Cellophane was selling his pipe, but then I compared pics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.