1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Pipe Identification Help

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Woodyarmadillo, Mar 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woodyarmadillo

Woodyarmadillo Member

I just bought this lot of pipes (at a very reasonable price) online and am trying to identify some of these. I am mainly interested in the pipe shown at the top left. The Viking and Kaywoodie were easy to identify, but the other pipe with noticeable markings appears to say (something.c.), possibly M.C.? Anyone recognize this marking? I've spent quite a bit of time searching pipephil.eu with no luck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

The C makes me want to say something in the Comoy product line, but there are so many variations.
    Just one guess

Woodyarmadillo likes this.
  3. Thuber88

4. krusty

krusty Active Member

Mastercraft

Stonewall and Woodyarmadillo like this.
  5. Woodyarmadillo

Woodyarmadillo Member

That's what I was thinking but did not see this logo anywhere.

6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

McDonalds? :D

Stonewall and Woodyarmadillo like this.
  7. Woodyarmadillo

Woodyarmadillo Member

Hehe. I guess I'll find out when they are in hand. The 15 dollars was well worth the Viking and Kaywoodie. A couple have to turn out to be decent smokers with a little TLC.

8. krusty

krusty Active Member

The little I could see from the pics posted looked as though it could be the MC in an oval that was used by Mastercraft. Any thing on the bowl at all?

9. Thuber88

Yes in the early days, before they changed over to coke spoon-coffee spoon manufacturing.
    I have heard they make some forms of food now as well/:xd:

10. Woodyarmadillo

Woodyarmadillo Member

The guy selling them knows nothing about them. I asked for a description of the markings and he said there was lots of stuff but he couldn't read most if it. Apparently the match book is from the 30's? Im not sure about the age of these pipes, but judging by the conditions of the rims, they should be somewhat salvageable. I'll have to check them out when I receive them.

I would have been sold on the Mastercraft, but from all the stem logos I've seen of Mastercraft, they are always MC and not M.C. I'm pretty sure you're right. I haven't seen any other possiblibilities yet.

11. krusty

krusty Active Member

Ah, therein lie the rub...
    Oh well, ya smoked the thing yet?
    (-:

12. Longshanks

Longshanks He who shall; so shall he... wait, who?

Stem looks twisted the wrong way, but kinda resembles the MasterCraft logo. I don't remember dots in mine, though. On a side note, it could be a replacement stem that just happened to fit - might not even belong to the pipe. I've picked up some of those before.

[​IMG]

13. Woodyarmadillo

Woodyarmadillo Member

Nope, I just happened to look on etsy and found this lot for 15$, said what the heck, there's a Viking in there and I've wanted to try one out so I bought it. I started looking closer and couldn't figure out what it said on this pipe and got more curious. Should have them sometime next week.

14. Woodyarmadillo

Woodyarmadillo Member

Yeah that threw me off. I then noticed it was upside down and started researching. Definitely could be a replacement stem... It's been around for awhile.

15. krusty

krusty Active Member

Well for $15 you should get your moneys worth out of the lot!

16. Woodyarmadillo

Woodyarmadillo Member

Thanks for the pic. That's how all of the Mastercraft logos seem to look which made me think that Iits wasn't one.

17. Longshanks

Longshanks He who shall; so shall he... wait, who?

I searched a site and found 3 different MasterCraft logos, though this may not be all-inclusive of their logo variations. Your logo might very well be a 4th variation.
    http://pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-m3.html
    Because of the MC and the oblong outline - I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of theirs.
    Sure is a cool looking apple, though... really like the shape. I hope it cleans up nice for you.

18. Woodyarmadillo

Woodyarmadillo Member

Thanks for the help (you and krusty). I'll find something in there worth keeping. This will be my first attempt at restoring anything, so if I make mistakes, I can learn from them without getting too upset. :)

Moose and krusty like this.
  19. Woodyarmadillo

Woodyarmadillo Member

Thanks for the help everyone. Forgot to check back in on this thread. Got the lot. A kaywoodie drinkless, kaywoodie red root, viking, medico, and you guessed a mastercraft with a strange looking logo. All cleaned up pretty well, Both kaywoodies had a couple major cracks in the bowls but turned out really nice with a little JB Weld on the outside and Pipe mudd on the inside. The kaywoodie stinger setup annoys me personally, but they do smoke well and it was fun spending a weekend restoring these. I actually sanded the drinkless down quite a bit, thought about restaining/refinishing it, but it looked pretty cool without the finish even though you could clearly see where I repaired the cracks. I kind of like it because it reminds me of the first major crack repair i've attempted (and successfully so far). After restoring about 9-10 pipes now, I feel alot more comfortable and may take on a better project next time. I also restored a Big Ben pipe that I found at a local antique mall that looked, well, pretty awful when I purchased it. It looks pretty awesome now (straight billiard) and smokes amazingly. One of my favorite pipes now. I didn't really know what to expect when I got it because there wasn't alot of information about this particular model (or any model) of Big Ben on the internet. Just know that the company recently went bankrupt and their pipes seem to be somewhat middle/lower class in the pipe world. Thanks for the help everyone. Got my 15 bucks worth just having fun restoring these back to smokeable.

krusty and Moose like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.