1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

pipe length question

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Pecci, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Do differences (between pipes) in combined length of a mouth-piece & stem, have any effect on the taste of a tobacco?
  2. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Jun 13, 2010
    I'll smoke a few bowls in my churchwarden,
    then in my nosewarmer, and get back to you
    on that. ;)

Generally speaking the longer the pipe,
    the cooler (typically). So, your tongue is
    not fighting with heat, as well as taste.
    Theoretically, you'd get more taste that
    way. However, a shorter pipe will bring
    you a quicker flavour palate. This is where
    technique comes into play. Better packing
    and better smoking techniques will enhance
    the way a tobacco burns. Thus giving you
    a better range of flavours from the tobacco

Have I confused you yet? Basically, technique
    wins over length of pipe.
  3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Feb 9, 2010
    What he said. There's no magic length that will compensate for poor/inexperienced technique.
  4. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    What ARE you guys trying to say? :rolleyes:
    ddandb likes this.
  5. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Jan 17, 2010
    I think smoking cadence has a lot to do with it too. When I had a Churchwarden I was usually smoking it while sitting down unwinding. My Nosewarmers get smoked when I'm out and about and I'm usually puffing away which makes for a much hotter smoke.
  6. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Apr 11, 2011
    It can make a difference in heat. Longer stems make for cooler smokes. GlassSculptor makes a good point too, though- churchwardens might smoke even more coolly than the stem length would account for on its own because they usually get smoked while relaxing in a chair instead of while out and about or working or something, and so you're not as easily distracted into overpuffing.
  7. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I agree, technique is more important than length, in both heat and taste. Extremes may be exceptions though. I long avoided short pipes such as nosewarmer because they would smoke harsh and hot. I was wrong. Tobacco burns at temps of several hundred degrees, how much difference is another inch or two going to make with smoke traveling inside a pipe, with either heat or taste? The answer is none, you just will not be able to detect the difference.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.