1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Pipe makers you have discovered.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Russell Hartman, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Tell us about the pipe makers/carvers you have found that REALLY have grabbed your attention as far as pipes that perform well past their price point. I'll start out. For me its Todd Bannard BST pipes. I could not be happier since finding, and purchasing several of these champions.

2. MakDragon

MakDragon Illegitimi non carborundum

Alberto Bonfiglioli. Bought one of his better pipes at a local B&M and then ordered a basic pipe from him directly from Italy. Something like $30 for the basic called "Naked".
    I just recently got one of his churchwardens. What a beautiful pipe!! Great smoker!!!
    I really like his pipes and he is a true gentleman when dealing with him.

Lithua pipe likes this.
  3. krusty

krusty Active Member

Old Ted
    The "Davehill" billiard I purchased from him indeed performs waaaay past the purchase price!
    [​IMG]

4. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is in an undisclosed Bunker

First up I would have to say Sasquatch because the Beast I got from him is an amazing smoker! I will be commissioning his work again shortly. After Sas though I would have to say Davorin Denovic. I love the morta material for one and his work is terrific as well. I have two of his pipes and they are very special pipes indeed.

Mount Mandolin and Old Codger like this.
  5. muddler

muddler Active Member

Pietenpauw pipes. Made in my home town (Pretoria) in South Africa by Jean du Toit. The engineering is superb & finishes excellent. Best of all, they are very good smokers available at very low prices. http://www.pietenpauw.co.za/

Mount Mandolin and Old Codger like this.
  6. MakDragon

MakDragon Illegitimi non carborundum

Wow! They are some really nice pipes!

7. buistd

buistd Active Member

Website isn't working for me. Any ideas?

8. buistd

buistd Active Member

Apparently he is no longer making pipes.

Edit: Actually that's not true. Still can't get on the website though.

9. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

My favorite is Rad Davis. I discovered his pipes in August of this year and was completely blown away at the smoking properties of his pipes. I have owned pipes that were double the price of my Rad's and none smoked as well. I recently sold off my last Former and it sold for more as an estate than any of my brand new Rad's. Back in 2001 it was a 700.00 retail and while it was a great pipe, it was not as good as my Rad's. In my opinion no one is making better smoking or looking pipes than Rad and when you take into account the price of a new sandblasted one, they are an excellent value.

10. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Modesty forbids me contributing to this thread :rolleyes:

OT ;)

11. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I wanted to add to my list. BUT--BUT----FIRST--ALL respect to my Sasquatch-Todd Bannard-BST pipes--I am kinda hooked on his pipes. I also got to throw out two names. I live not so far away from both carver/makers, and both of these are also champions. That is Jake Hackert, and J.M. Boswell. The Hackerts--I like his regular size pipes. I do not own any of Jakes fancy cobs. I own a pile of Boswells. I have one Boswell poker he made for me that is a champion too. I WILL NOT take away from other carvers. Its just that for the money paid verses the smoking qualities--WELL--I have had pipes that were in the $700.00-$1000.00 class that did not do as well as these--YES IT MAKES ME SICK to now KNOW that, money not well spent:( ---I AM BEING HONEST. In the fore front----SASQUATCH----TODD BANNARD---this man is WWAAYY under estimated, and in my mind over looked by some. The reason I started this thread was NOT TO BRAG--NOT TO BOAST--NOT TO SAY---HEY---look at the pipes I have, and you don't. I have been evaluating my pipes as far as what I paid, and how they smoke. There are guys out there that NEED looked at because in our VERY small world of pipe smoking where some will, or would attack us for being---OH GOD----"smokers"---there are guys turning out VERY REAL, and wonderful pipes that are super great smokers. I want to give a shout out, and show my respect by simply telling others of my findings. Once again--In my feeble pathetic mind---I have learned----especially with the names I threw out there--A MAN--DOES NOT HAVE TO SPEND MASSIVE, AND HUGE AMOUNTS OF MONEY to find wonderful carvers who can turn out a pipe that will provide one with great smoking qualities for a working mans price--granted many pipes took alot of saving for me, but once I find something I like---I like to share that with others. Right now---I admitt---I am stuck on my BST--Sasquatch pipes---FREAKIN great pipes for the money--they in my mind are DAMN hard to beat for the money. If it makes ol' Sas's head swell a little bit---well I think he deserves it--he does after all do awesome work.

FlatbushPaul and Old Codger like this.
  12. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Who's Todd Bannard?:confused:

DGErwin11 and Old Ted like this.
  13. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

beats me!.....does he do custom cobs? :msty:

14. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

My BST is the only "artisan" pipe that I own. It's a Pot shape and I love it. I plan to get back on Todd's list as soon as funds permit. Todd was great to work with too. The pipe is an absolute spittin' image of the picture I had in my head and tried so diligently to descrbe to Todd. That says a lot to me. It's a wonderful smoker too.

I would like to check out another maker someday but since I don't buy pipes very often that might never happen. My next artisan pipe will be another BST. Not sure where I'll go from there.

15. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

That must be where I've seen that name. Cobs...

DGErwin11 and Old Ted like this.
  16. County Mountie

County Mountie Active Member

As far as bang-for-your-buck from an indie carver, I've enjoyed Wayne Teipen's alot. That's not just a shout out: they're great smokers.

17. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I like Wayne's pipes a lot too. He and I have kind of grown up together in the marginalia of pipe makers. When he made his "Mad Hatter" a couple years ago I was really impressed with the fluidity of his shaping. He has a really neat organic approach. I think his pipes will be recognizeably his even with other "Danish Style" pipes being made by the handful right now.

Morse likes this.
  18. Morse

Morse Active Member

Yes but he makes them out of briar - the whole thing is weird

Old Ted likes this.
  19. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

My favorite pipemaker is Lasse Skovgaard. I have 8 of his pipes and every one of them is a first rate smoker. He makes very interesting and functional shapes, but to me one of the most important things about him is that his stains do not ever ruin the taste of the smoke. Unfortunately his prices are climbing, so I may not get more Lasses. They are still a good value compared to the older star pipemakers.

20. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Agreed about Lasse. Couple years ago you could pick one up for 150 bucks, and now they are 500. But good looking pipes for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.