1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Pipe mud first attempt

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by November, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. November

November Member

So I have a Dr Grabow Free Hand that feels like it was shaped for me personally. Smokes like a dream, but the airhole was drilled a little high in the bowl leaving moist 'baccy at the bottom after every session.

I'd heard about using cigar ashes and spit to make "pipe mud" to raise the floor of the bowl to the level of the airhole, so I went to my local B&M to stock up on my usual blend and to see if he had any cigar ash in the ashtrays. He had just cleaned all the trays, but I spied one ashtray that he was using at the register and asked if I could have the cigar ashes in there. With a raised eyebrow he said "Sure..." so I bagged them up and took them home.

I simply squeezed the ashes inside the ziploc bag until they were a fine powder then emptied them onto a sheet of paper. With a toothpick I mixed in very small amounts of spit until it was moist just past the "crumbly" phase. I placed the mud mixture into the bottom of the bowl and tamped it with my Czech tool and a folded over pipe cleaner until I was happy with the new "floor". The first pic shows the mud just after being put in and you can see it's a little shiny with moisture. The second pick show it three days later. It is now dry and hardened and ready to be smoked. Maybe I will tonight depending on how long Game 7 goes.

Fresh Mud...

[​IMG]

Three Days Later...

[​IMG]

dwaugh and Jay like this.
  2. Jay

Jay Active Member

Hope it works out for you.

3. November

November Member

Well, I guess everything's A-OK. I just came inside from giving it a shakedown smoke and am happy to report it burned down to the bottom with just ashes left over. No funky taste from the cigar ash either, so I'm gonna call it mission accomplished.

EmperorGix and Kiowapipe like this.
  4. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Awesome!

5. EmperorGix

EmperorGix Member

It's that easy huh? I've got a pipe with a little bit of the same problem... Maybe I'll give it a go. Glad to hear it worked out! :)

6. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

How hard does pipe mud dry? I am an agressive cleaner when it comes to pipes, and I am certain I would simply erode the pipe mud with my pipe tool and bent cleaners.

7. November

November Member

Yup!

It seems like a light cement to me, but perhaps this treatment is incompatible with your cleaning regimen.

8. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

I did this same thing using ash and water.. smoked a few 1/4 bowls of CH outta them to start alittle cake layer on the bottom and it worked great for about a month.. but eventually, as I tend to bang my pipes pretty hard (they're all beater pipes anyway) eventually the little false-floors popped out.. but for pretty much free they smoked GREAT for a month.. think I'll have to redo them both and keep on smoking outta them..

9. Nightcap

Nightcap Member

I wonder if using "honey water" might help it stick to the bottom better? Perhaps try mixing it with a honey/water mixture, then maybe seal it in with a honey/water/ash wall and floor coating. I have only coated one new bowl in such a manner, but that is how I would approach it if I were going to do it. Nice job by the way, it looks very smooth and clean. I would hope to do as nice a job should I ever need to do such a thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.