Pipe mud in a briar pipe?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by bluepipe, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

Hello guys, how is everyone?

I know that you can put pipe mud in a corn cob to preven burn through and to seal the gaps between the walls and the airhole.

I have a couple of briar pipes that are incorectly drilled. i.e. the airhole is (much) higher in the chamber than it should be. I can't smoke the pipes all the way down and I end up throwing away tobacco. Even if I use the canonball technique, I end up tamping it below the airhole towards the end of the bowl.

So I am thinking of raising the bottom of the chamber using pipe mud to "lower" the airhole. I never used pipe mud even on my corn cobs. How thick can I get it?

Is there any cracking danger when using it in briar?

I appreciate any input you may have on this.

Take care
    Andreas

2. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I am currently smoking a Briar that exactly fits your description, and I added pipe mud to the bottom.

You will want the mixture to be almost as dry as possible when mixing it up, it should be barely shiny when you mold it into the pipe.

I have used it to raise the bottom of pipe bowls by around 1/8 inch, maybe a little more, with no trouble.

Let it dry well, like several days, and then carefully build some heel cake over the top, and you should be in great shape.

3. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Works fine fer mine.

4. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Go for it Andreas.
    I use cigar ash and just enough water to make a thick paste....surprising how LITTLE water it takes! Work the paste into the heel of the pipe and let it dry for a few days before firing it up again. Stuff sets up like concrete! I usually slightly dampen the heel to help it bind....not sure if it's necessary though.

5. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

Thanks for the input guys. Greatly appreciated. Now to create that cigar ash!

6. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Yesiree!!!! :bing:

7. ozarksmoker

ozarksmoker Member

Not to highjack this thread, but what is pipe mud and where can I get som should I need it?

8. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Pipe mud is nothing more than a mixture of cigar ash and water...you make it yourself.

9. Mister Moo

10. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

I missed that thread completely. Thanks for the link Moo!

I have tried it on 3 pipes, before I read the article.

Two of the pipes are briars. The mix I used on one of them was more water-y than it should be though, so I am abit worried.

I did the corn cob with pipe ash, just for a test.

Thanks again

11. Mister Moo

If it's watery/shiny it'll probably crumble or break loose. Work the ash to a just-barely-putty consistency with minimal water and it'll harden and hold fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.